Just about ready to tear into it. UPDATE

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
UPDATE

Ok, done deal on the part throttle kickdown but I obviously have some more to do.
I have a small spring holding the TP rod back about 1/4 inch until it gets to about 3/4 of wide open then the spring lets the throttle open the rest of the way after the TP rod is already all the way back.
This was to move the low and mid throttle shift points up about 10mph for around town driving. (which is 90% of my driving)
I also raised the line pressure about 10 pounds from 90 at WOT to about 100.
Doing this caused my kickdown shifts to go away completely, but I just dealt with it by shifting down manually and then back up when needed. (kind of a PIA when you drive a lot) but I always knew it wouldn't get left like that.

The trans has always shifted too early on WOT conditions 1-2 at about 30 with 2,500 rpm's
and 2-3 at about 50 and 2,000 or so rpms even with the spring making the KD travel all the way back to the stop at about 3/4 throttle.

Before the PTKD went in normal driving around town conditions it made the 1-2 shift at about 25 mph and the 2-3 at about 35 mph and the downshift into low again when coming to a stop at about 5-10 mph. (barely feel or hear it)

When I put the PTKD in I dropped the pressure back to the factory 90lbs max, but left the spring on the throttle pressure just as a test to see what happened, but was fully expecting to take it off when I modded the governor.
Now that the PTKD is in there everything seems about the same except for it now it has kickdown below 60 with less than full throttle ( what I wanted) but after it kicks down it almost immediately shifts back up again even if I hold the throttle wide open, and slowing to a stop it drops down into low at about 15 mph. (that went up 5-10mph)

It also kicks down into second when slowing coming into a corner at 20-25 (perfect for what I wanted) and you don't feel that happen. (that's fine)

So this is what I am thinking now.
If I remove the spring from the TP now and lighten the governor's weighted valves it should not only give the later shifts I wanted, but move the early WOT shifts higher, as well as keep it from shifting right back into third after the kickdown.

The PTKD does it's job though, for the people waiting to hear but I really want to get this thing dialed in and I am somewhat of a perfectionist about things like this.
(Which I'm sure some of you know can be a curse sometimes.) but it is why I got the reusable steel/rubber pan gasket which is really nice by the way.

I'm about tempted to order the stage 2 kit from Transgo now that everything but the PTKD is back to stock except for the separator plate being drilled already.
The reasoning is because you get new springs as well as the redesigned manual valve, and I think old springs is part of the problem I have with the shift points being off at WOT.
The kit instructs to do what I have done to the valve body separator plate as well as the governor mods anyway.

Sound reasonable? :)

It'll be an all in the same day deal, and there shouldn't be any issue's. (shouldn't :D)
I'll be adjusting the mainline pressure, visually checking both bands and adjusting and a bit of governor modding. (lightening the valve to delay the shifts a bit more.)
While it's apart I'll add the part throttle kickdown kit from Pat Blaise (who is retiring sometime soon by the way) as well as the linkage seals and tailshaft housing bushing and seal. (The ext housing, rear band pin, and rear bearing snap ring cover always get RTV)
The part throttle kickdown keeps you from having to stick your foot to the floor to get the trans to kick down, as I want it to kick down with less throttle than that. (about 2/3 to 3/4)
I have the speedo seal and O ring already out in the shop in a big drawer of trans rings and seals from when I did this crap for a living. :D
Just been collecting parts slowly to get around to it.

Attachments

• parts.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 372
904 or 727? I didn't realize the different tail shaft seals in the small tranny had multiple sizes till I built one from several.....

It's a lightly modded 904 (passages drilled for the clutckpacks and front band along with a blocked accumulator) for the occasional mid throttle tire bark. :D
I over did it on the line pressure a little and lost "passing" gear, so now it's time to go back in again and straighten that out.
While it's open I'm going to drill and pipe plug a 1/4 inch hole in the case for pressure adjustment access if I ever need it in the future.

The thing doesn't have morning sickness (wont go when cold) or any issues like needing to put it in neutral before reverse will engage so I don't need to do anything else to it for awhile.

I know what you mean. This kit cures morning sickness and a lot of other ills.....
vbpgimage.php

I know what you mean. This kit cures morning sickness and a lot of other ills.....
vbpgimage.php

I'm not talking about drain back issues (although I did mention it), but the ones that come from hardened rubber lip seals that won't engage clutches till the rubber warms up. :D

I did consider the new valve though, but I'm going to skip it for now.

I'm not talking about drain back issues (although I did mention it), but the ones that come from hardened rubber lip seals that won't engage clutches till the rubber warms up. :D

I did consider the new valve though, but I'm going to skip it for now.

I used to add brake fluid for that.... SHHHHH!

You are gonna enjoy that PT KD feature. The later governed upshifts, I dunno. I was always happy to manually shift mine, plus I never liked the early auto-downshift when coming to a stop.
The access port is the best! It saved me hours of tuning.
I also didnt like the blocked accumulator, and quickly swapped in a super-stiff spring.
Enjoy!

I'm m really intrigued by the Part throttle mod. Was going to add it when I was rebuilding my 727 but chickened out because of everything else I did. Please keep us informed as to your experience I want to add it once I get some miles on the car and work out the bugs.

I used to add brake fluid for that.... SHHHHH!

It works,,,,,for awhile and then :wack:

You are gonna enjoy that PT KD feature. The later governed upshifts, I dunno. I was always happy to manually shift mine, plus I never liked the early auto-downshift when coming to a stop.
The access port is the best! It saved me hours of tuning.
I also didnt like the blocked accumulator, and quickly swapped in a super-stiff spring.
Enjoy!

I'm pretty sure you are right, because I don't jump on it hard very much but I do like keeping the RPMs up rather than using lots of throttle.
Like starting into a steep little uphill at 30 in third gear, or just want a little more gear for a second or two on the freeway.
Getting the normal kickdown back and then the part throttle kickdown on top of that should give me some adjustment choices in the KD rod to get it where I like it.
I do kind of like a little compression braking when coming to a stop, or say like turning into a parking lot that has a big *** dip in the entrance (obviously doesn't really matter but I like it that way)

I am interested to see how the PTKD and the governor react together throughout the upshifting ranges, and for that reason I may very well leave the governor alone until I find out.
Man it would suck to do all that stuff and then have to open it again to do the gov mods anyway, but I guess it'd be better than having to find and wait for another gov. :D

I got it, I'll put a remote control spring behind the gov valve so I could even adjust it on the fly if I want. :D
(A "remote control spring", shees) I must be under the influence or something.

I'm m really intrigued by the Part throttle mod. Was going to add it when I was rebuilding my 727 but chickened out because of everything else I did. Please keep us informed as to your experience I want to add it once I get some money les on the car and work out the bugs.

I'll come back and report after it's done and adjustments are finalized, but it may be awhile.

Once done I would be very curious to hear how you like the kickdown.

See above. :D

what's your baseline pressure Trailbeast? You lost all kickdown? Let us know how you like it. I've done the other mods(stiffer 1-2, 2-3 springs, lighter Gov weight, and played up/down with base pressures, so curious how sensitive this one is.

what's your baseline pressure Trailbeast? You lost all kickdown? Let us know how you like it. I've done the other mods(stiffer 1-2, 2-3 springs, lighter Gov weight, and played up/down with base pressures, so curious how sensitive this one is.

I didn't actually measure it, and that's how I went a little too far with it.
Just going to bring it down to what it is supposed to be and give the part throttle kickdown a shot and then change the governor afterwards (because I'll probably want the shift points a little higher once everything besides the drilled plate is back the way it was for the most part)

Changing the governor ain't THAT bad. I did it several times one week. Finally got it dialed in! Yahoo! It was just time.
Well, I was barely 50 then.And I had a hoist.And....................................

Changing the governor ain't THAT bad. I did it several times one week. Finally got it dialed in! Yahoo! It was just time.
Well, I was barely 50 then.And I had a hoist.And....................................

Oh yea, rub it in why don't ya. :D

No worries.
It'll take me an hour or so to pull it, mod it and put it back together.
The hardest part for me is getting the damn thing up in the air high enough to be comfortable doing it. :D

I don't have a lift or a garage, only a gravel drive so it takes almost as long to get it ready to do as it does to actually do it.
But I do have a selection of moving blankets that help a lot, but I'm lacking a pillow. :D

Jack the back up high enough to send the oil to the front, support the tranny and slide in backwards.Make sure your belly is empty so you dont get sleepy! lol.

That's pretty much the plan AJ :D

No thoughts on the results so far?

Greg I believe the governor mod will do what your after. The TF-2 kit does come with some springs but not the 1-2 or 2-3 shift valve springs which are the only springs other than the gov spring that'll affect shift speeds to any extent

Trailbeast, make a trip to West side of Phoenix, and we'll get it up the air, on the lift and in the A/C equipped shop and setup that VB for you. I've got the 1-2, 2-3 springs and the TF-2 comes with most everything else needed. Have you cut the throttle valve down at all?

Trailbeast, make a trip to West side of Phoenix, and we'll get it up the air, on the lift and in the A/C equipped shop and setup that VB for you. I've got the 1-2, 2-3 springs and the TF-2 comes with most everything else needed. Have you cut the throttle valve down at all?

I have not ground cut or otherwise modded anything but the separator plate that cannot be undone in a few minutes.
I appreciate the offer Fred, but 116 is a little to warm for me.
The gravel is more comfortable. :D

Figured if the governor mods don't cut it then I'll get more serious about the kit.

I really do appreciate the offer though.

Thank you.

Greg I believe the governor mod will do what your after. The TF-2 kit does come with some springs but not the 1-2 or 2-3 shift valve springs which are the only springs other than the gov spring that'll affect shift speeds to any extent

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the governor thoughts Tracy.
I was going to PM you and see what you thought about the governor handling the details I was hoping for, but it was pretty long winded or there wouldn't have been any point in asking.

Make sense? :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the governor thoughts Tracy.
I was going to PM you and see what you thought about the governor handling the details I was hoping for, but it was pretty long winded or there wouldn't have been any point in asking.

Make sense? :)

Yep. Glad to help

You really expect me to read all that? GAWD..

Only if you don't want to waste your time reading something that didn't make any sense due to a lack of detailed information. :D

Ain't THAT the truth? LOL I "CAINT" fault you THERE. LOL

Thanks for the detailed write up. now i'm interested to see how it works with the TF2 kit lol.

-
Back