Just bought a 70 340 motor with local history

-

340doc

Reaction score
I always like a good story, so I'll share this one. Years ago in the late 70's early 80's I was just out of high school crusin my 71 Duster. I had swapped in a 340/4 spd and me and my buddies thought we were the coolest in town. We always liked spotting cool cars as we were driving around. One particular car that was on our well traveled route, was a 70 340 Dart. Orange with a white tail stripe, all stock down to the dodge hubcaps. It was owned by an old guy who could be seen wiping it down on more than one occasion. We always looked at it but it didn't have nice rims and wide tires so our interest was short. The car eventually disappeared but it would come up in conversation as we all got older. A couple weeks ago a friend called me up about a bunch of Mopar parts for sale on Craigs. I called the number and found out the seller was a guy I know but lost touch with. He had a trailer full of parts he was selling and moving out of the area. I went the next day and after we caught up a bit I looked around. He did have a lot of stuff but my eyes went to a 70 340 air cleaner. He said he had the whole motor minus carb. Turns out he bought the Orange Dart from the guy that had got it from the old man. The hairs on the back of my neck were standing up as I realized I was looking at the original 340 from that same Dart, almost 40 years later! He told me the guy he got the car from had the motor rebuilt. He's still in touch with him and got him on the phone. Turns out he remembered me because of my cars. He told me all about the rebuild. I asked him who did the work on it. Turns out its the same machine shop I've been using forever and trust. A price was reached. My sons 70 Dart is going to get a piece of local history under the hood. I'll post some pics when I get it home.

I always like a good story, so I'll share this one. Years ago in the late 70's early 80's I was just out of high school crusin my 71 Duster. I had swapped in a 340/4 spd and me and my buddies thought we were the coolest in town. We always liked spotting cool cars as we were driving around. One particular car that was on our well traveled route, was a 70 340 Dart. Orange with a white tail stripe, all stock down to the dodge hubcaps. It was owned by an old guy who could be seen wiping it down on more than one occasion. We always looked at it but it didn't have nice rims and wide tires so our interest was short. The car eventually disappeared but it would come up in conversation as we all got older. A couple weeks ago a friend called me up about a bunch of Mopar parts for sale on Craigs. I called the number and found out the seller was a guy I know but lost touch with. He had a trailer full of parts he was selling and moving out of the area. I went the next day and after we caught up a bit I looked around. He did have a lot of stuff but my eyes went to a 70 340 air cleaner. He said he had the whole motor minus carb. Turns out he bought the Orange Dart from the guy that had got it from the old man. The hairs on the back of my neck were standing up as I realized I was looking at the original 340 from that same Dart, almost 40 years later! He told me the guy he got the car from had the motor rebuilt. He's still in touch with him and got him on the phone. Turns out he remembered me because of my cars. He told me all about the rebuild. I asked him who did the work on it. Turns out its the same machine shop I've been using forever and trust. A price was reached. My sons 70 Dart is going to get a piece of local history under the hood. I'll post some pics when I get it home.
Great story and score!

What the hell happened to the car , why is it in pieces?
I figured that would come up but didn't want to make the story any longer. It was taken apart by the guy who got it from the old man years later. He got in over his head and sold it to the guy I know. He was going to restore it and reassemble but he lost his warehouse and decided to move. He tried to sell it all disassembled but had no takers, so he parted it. Sad.

I guess that's one less orange with white stripe out there.

IMG_4335.jpg

-
Back