Just got back from the Nats. Are new Challengers really this slow?

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Hey All

Lots of new Challengers running down the racetrack at the Nats this year.

I can't count the number of R/Ts I saw running mid-high 14s. Is that really all the better they run?

If so, that's horrible. My 08 Taurus has been 14.36 on a 2.29 60'!!

yes they are. especially when guys don't know how to drive them. those things are heavy *** cars.

A freind of mine from work ran a 13.10 with his RT and all it had was a KN air filter inlet change from stock. I didn't think that was to bad.

No Pictures? Come on, it's a bioch living close to nothin. No car circus's or street sceen to speak of.

Most of them have not heard of Diablo Motorsports either, you should have seen some of them trying to do burnouts on Heath road, that was funny. apparently they haven't heard of turning off the traction control either...Staying at the Nats till the end of Sunday...

I thought the same thing. I did notice some missed gears and not launching good. The Nats were a bust for me.

Most of them have not heard of Diablo Motorsports either, you should have seen some of them trying to do burnouts on Heath road, that was funny. apparently they haven't heard of turning off the traction control either...Staying at the Nats till the end of Sunday...

lol.. thats because a good amount of new challenger owners ( i did not say all) are just check book guys that have no clue how to do anything more then an oil change. if they owned classic iron they would have bought it finished and farm out all the work on it.

A freind of mine from work ran a 13.10 with his RT and all it had was a KN air filter inlet change from stock. I didn't think that was to bad.

That would be decent. Didn't see any go that fast. Was that a stick or automatic?

I only got a couple pics of the classic S&M (lol) race cars on display, but I'll post them up. None of the new Chally as I think we've seen enough of those.

Here's a link:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1484259#post1484259

Also, why did they put the bumper guys way in the back? That stuff gets heavy by the time you get to the parking lot....

Associate gave me a ride in his new Hemi Challenger, he booted it from a stop, it took off slow, and I kept waiting for the "four barrel" to cut in,, no way,, I know my 2000 Dakota 5.9, (slightly tickled), would blow it away

know two guys running low 13's with their 5.7 challengers. both have exhaust (supposed to really help 5.7 cars) and cold air intakes.. the one also has the deiblo(sp?) tuning thing and he has gone a 13.1 or 13.0 at atco. both automatic cars. the stick cars seem to have wheel hop issues and driver issues.

know two guys running low 13's with their 5.7 challengers. both have exhaust (supposed to really help 5.7 cars) and cold air intakes.. the one also has the deiblo(sp?) tuning thing and he has gone a 13.1 or 13.0 at atco. both automatic cars. the stick cars seem to have wheel hop issues and driver issues.

Wow. That's pretty darn slow for the money. A 13.0 at Atco is probably a 13.50 here in the summertime.

I'm sure you need the diablo deal with the stick. The Fords have all kinds of transmission protection programmed into the mustang that you need a tuner to get rid of. Example: Any time you put the clutch in, the computer closes the throttle blade. If it then sees RPMs over as certain level when you let the clutch out, it cuts spark and timing.

I bet Chrysler is doing the same stuff.

buddy took his new green challenger (that is all I know about it) he was dialed in at 12.26 His brother with his 392 beat him, both know how to drive.

New Challengers are over 4000 lbs unless it is SRT it will not be a rocket ship
WHERE ARE THE PICTURES?

Those sound like modded SRT8 ETs to me.

I posted a link to some pics above.

we didn t watch much racing, but we seen the mr. norms garage LOCO challenger. twin turbo. it looked like crap coming off the line, but then took off like a rocket right passed the other car. lol. funny and impressive. we did see a few new challengers run, and i thought they did ok. they are heavy mothers tho.

i seen one last week, was able in 2nd gear to easily pass it after making the turn.

I have yet to see one "fast" one. They do look and sound great, would i pay $40,000 for it, heck no

this is why chevy and ford's have a supercharger models available or soon to be but then think what the old cars do if they were supercharged \ that was the thing to do back in the late 70's, nobody ran stroker cranks, they supercharged their engines...and ran them in to the ground or around a tree, lol

It's funny cause its true.....

I have a 2005 magnum r/t, and was going to join some of the new LX mopar message boards only to find out, the majority of guys that own these newer mopar hipo vehicles are middle aged crisis guys who have just bought their first "fast" car. Majority of them are more worried about investing in trinkets and accessories rather than finding cheap ways to make power/hook and all the good stuff that hot rodders like us are into.

So its not a suprise that there are so many slower new model cars. I love the maggy but realize its over 4000lbs, and would take a lot of money to be able to hang with the GM LS and new Ford Powerplants.

Some of these guys amaze me with what they spend their money on, hell i saw a website the otherday that offered fabricated aluminm valve covers for $1000 Bucks!!!!!!!!! That's just plain ridiculous!

Needless to say, i just stay here on Fabo and actually get inspired and good information on go-fast tips and goodies!

Long live the old muscle car mentality!

-
Back