K.I.S.S. principal works!

-

Gerry Holmes

Reaction score
well after my previous thread:
(does anyone know the torque for the new 727 pan gasket #P2464324AC? i've been going nuts trying to seal my 727, which you'd think any idiot could do it, thus i've proved that wrong. tried with original pan (checked for squareness, and flattened bolts holes) 1. with rubber gasket and weather stripping adhesive on the pan and dry on the 727 side. 2. high temp silicon, both sides. 3. new pan, weather stripping adhesive on the pan, silicon on the 727 side. and finally with the #P2464324AC, with nothing on it and torqued to 150" pounds (which is what the parts guy told me) but maybe that was for the old cork gasket. also i made sure that nothing was leaking down from the usual places (shift shaft seal, throttle pressure shaft seal, cooling lines, neutral switch, filler tube or speedo cable!) and checked mating surface of the 727. each time the leak changed location, but was definately from the edge of the pan. seemed like 150" pounds was to tight for the new reusable gasket.) so i just went today to an old automatic shop were the mechanic said to do it the way the factory does, and then handed me a $4.00 cork gasket, told me to dry tranny and pan, then stick dry gasket between and snug up until i could see the cork squeeze slightly (maybe 80 inch pounds) i dutifully followed his instructions and now have a dry garage floor! K.I.S.S. principal (Keep It Simple, Stupid) for you younger guys!

I've had ok luck with regular cork gaskets too as long as the pan and trans. were absolutely flat and clean of oil/debris before installation. I also go by the tighten it till ya see it squeeze out a little. But nearly everyone I did eventually seeped a little. Never a big leak that actually left anything on the floor. Just enough seepage to make the case messy. Since I started using the Mopar perf. gasket I haven't had any seepage/leak of any sort. There must have been a mismatch somewhere on yours is the only thing I can think of but glad to hear you got it fixed. Happy motoring!

well after my previous thread:
(does anyone know the torque for the new 727 pan gasket #P2464324AC? i've been going nuts trying to seal my 727, which you'd think any idiot could do it, thus i've proved that wrong. tried with original pan (checked for squareness, and flattened bolts holes) 1. with rubber gasket and weather stripping adhesive on the pan and dry on the 727 side. 2. high temp silicon, both sides. 3. new pan, weather stripping adhesive on the pan, silicon on the 727 side. and finally with the #P2464324AC, with nothing on it and torqued to 150" pounds (which is what the parts guy told me) but maybe that was for the old cork gasket. also i made sure that nothing was leaking down from the usual places (shift shaft seal, throttle pressure shaft seal, cooling lines, neutral switch, filler tube or speedo cable!) and checked mating surface of the 727. each time the leak changed location, but was definately from the edge of the pan. seemed like 150" pounds was to tight for the new reusable gasket.) so i just went today to an old automatic shop were the mechanic said to do it the way the factory does, and then handed me a $4.00 cork gasket, told me to dry tranny and pan, then stick dry gasket between and snug up until i could see the cork squeeze slightly (maybe 80 inch pounds) i dutifully followed his instructions and now have a dry garage floor! K.I.S.S. principal (Keep It Simple, Stupid) for you younger guys!

Dear departed friend drove that in my head and it works.

-
Back