K Member Removal

-

scatpakman

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I need some help. I'm going to remove the k member in my Dart for clean up and Leana's powdercoating. Problem is, where do I start. In what order do I disassemble the front end. Thanks.

Jack it up in the air, take the tension off the torsion bars and remove them.

Brake lines, upper control arm bolts, shocks, steering coupler, K frame bolts. You might want to remove the plastic splash guards on the bottom of the rails.

Should come out after that stuff is done.

Sounds simple enough. Thanks! Can't wait to get to work on it

Make sure you have a jack under it to help lower it...........it's a tad on the heavier side......
Daryl

Be sure when she does her work that the holes were the pivot pin slides in is clean you do not want a build up of power coating in there.

just for emphasis....do NOT forget or overlook releasing the tension and removing the torsion bars. I have heard of guys trying to skip that and just pull the frame off of them. That's a good way to get your name in the paper under the heading..he will be missed. Pretty easy job overall though.

You didn't say if the engine was in the car or not.

If so, unbolt engine mounts at K-frame. Using a 4x4 that will span between the splash shields, jack the engine up enough so that it can be fastened to the 4x4 to relieve weight from the K-frame.

If you want just the K-frame, remove upper suspension bump stop, disconnect lower front shock mount, disconnect control rods at the spindle, back off T-bar adjusters, and remove T-bars. Remove steering link arm (drag link) and idler arm. Disconnect steering column from steering box. (If power steering, remove lines and plug. Do not move arm on steering gear box, it will spew fluid.) Remove LCA nuts and disconnect LCAs from K-frame. The next step is to remove the 4-bolts that secure the K-frame to the uni-body. Plan on having a way to be able to get the frame out from under the car. It's not all that heavy, but it is awkward to handle. This should leave you with the steering box and the K-frame to remove. Everything else will be hanging on the body.

Sorry, forgot to mention the engine is out of the car. Should make the job easier right? Everyone mentions taking the load off the T-Bars. Can't I just put the car on jack stands?

You will need the car on jack stands for working room. What they are telling you that you need to back the tension off of the t bars. T bars work by being twisted to provide spring travel instead of using coil springs. If not backed off they will unload and something will fly. We had a young man taking the coil spring off of his GM product years ago and didn't use a spring compressor. It flew out and crushed his windpipe killing him.

Sounds simple enough. Thanks! Can't wait to get to work on it

Me either scatpak! :-D

Be sure when she does her work that the holes were the pivot pin slides in is clean you do not want a build up of power coating in there.

I've got ya covered guys. One advantage of being a motorhead too is that I know where the powder goes ... and doesn't.

Thanks in advance for the upcoming job scatpakman! It'll be terrific getting to finally work with you.

Sorry, forgot to mention the engine is out of the car. Should make the job easier right? Everyone mentions taking the load off the T-Bars. Can't I just put the car on jack stands?

It will make the job easier if the car is on stands. Everyone mentions taking the tension out of the bars for a reason, your SAFETY. You have to remove the LCAs from the K-frame. Can't do that without pulling T-bars. Load off T-bars makes job safer and easier, IME.

Thanks everyone! I would like to be around to enjoy the Dart when it's finished!

-
Back