Keep it numbers matching or Modify

-

CEL

Reaction score
I am hoping I am posting in the right area...I have a 1973 Dart 340 Sport all numbers matching auto "Go Banana" Y1 ... My question is would it be more or less valuable if I put in a gen 3 hemi or should I keep it original 340. I just finished the paint with base clear. It all original except for new eddy heads, intake, carb and comp cam 280h. I have all the original pieces put away.
20170121_142218.jpg
20170121_162701.jpg
20170121_162744.jpg
20170121_162612.jpg

Screw the numbers, build that thing and drive the wheels off it. Stuff the crap you take off in a corner. Enjoy it.
That actually looks good with painted bumpers

Screw the numbers, build that thing and drive the wheels off it. Stuff the crap you take off in a corner. Enjoy it.
That actually looks good with painted bumpers
I painted the bumpers because up here in Canada the rechroming places are crooks...they want $1500.00 to rechrome. Oh and thanks

They didn't build a ton of 73 340s... Keep it stock !

You can mod any car .

Do what you want! Its your car! And like 73ABodEE said, any original parts you pull off keep put up so if you do ever decide to get rid of it or want to put it back stock you have them. You'll always run into the guys who are hardcore and say if it's not how it came from the factory your a disgrace and also the guys who say, like I did, its your car do what you wish.

Hey there fellow Albertan. Yes they are limited number cars, but gen 3 is bolt in and won't require hurting anything. Do as you please. Personally if I was worried about numbers matching value I would take out the original engine anyway. Oh wait, I did just that on one of mine!
Welcome to FABO!

Hey there fellow Albertan. Yes they are limited number cars, but gen 3 is bolt in and won't require hurting anything. Do as you please. Personally if I was worried about numbers matching value I would take out the original engine anyway. Oh wait, I did just that on one of mine!
Welcome to FABO!
Have you done the gen 3 hemi swap in a a body...maybe I can pick your brain...I have a 5.7 coming my way.

They're only original once. Yours is no longer original so hack it to pieces.

If the 340 works why the heck are you doing a gen III Hemi swap? Drive the wheels off it. Sounds like a whole bunch of down time to swap a 5.6 for a 5.7. And if it were anything other than a 340 car, I would say the Hemi would make it more valuable. But since it is a 340, less valuable with the gen III.

Could always pull the 340 and wrap it up and keep it for a buyer who wants numbers matching.

Could always pull the 340 and wrap it up and keep it for a buyer who wants numbers matching.

Swapping in a gen III Hemi isn't like swapping in a 360 where you can yank the engine, re-install the original and just hook it back up. If you keep the gen III's electronics and fuel injection you'll have a lot more work to put it back to stock. And if you don't keep all the electronics what's the point of the swap?

I mean, if that's what the OP wants to do then that's fine, it's his car. But it won't be more valuable. Conversions to new engines get more money if the engines are brand new, which the 5.7 isn't. You'd have to go 6.1 or newer to get the "wow" factor. 5.7 swaps have been around a decently long time now. And 5 or ten years from now it will just be another old engine, without the bonus of it being the original old engine.

Last edited:
Swapping in a gen III Hemi isn't like swapping in a 360 where you can yank the engine, re-install the original and just hook it back up. If you keep the gen III's electronics and fuel injection you'll have a lot more work to put it back to stock. And if you don't keep all the electronics what's the point of the swap?

I mean, if that's what the OP wants to do then that's fine, it's his car. But it won't be more valuable. Conversions to new engines get more money if the engines are brand new, which the 5.7 isn't. You'd have to go 6.1 or newer to get the "wow" factor. 5.7 swaps have been around a decently long time now. And 5 or ten years from now it will just be another old engine, without the bonus of it being the original old engine.

Oh I'm well aware it's not a drop and swap, never said it was. But that still doesn't mean he can't pull the original engine and save it. Numbers matching means something to some guys. And it doesn't hurt anything to keep an engine in the corner of the garage does it?

Really good point...I could put a throttle body efi on like holley sniper or MSD Atomic...just to make run ability and performance better....I used Atomic on my old 74 318 dart with a paxton supercharger and it worked quite well.

I have a buddy in Lethbridge doing a 68 Dart now. He knows more about it than I do, but it's quite simple. Engine mounts are readily available. Wiring for aftermarket fuel injection is pretty much plug and play, not cheap though. Tranny bolts right up. Exhaust is a change too. Keep the 340 in the corner and enjoy 300+ hp with decent fuel economy if it tickles your fancy. I owned a 5.7 Challenger and loved the engine. Sure it's not a 6.1, but it's still a big jump. Or keep the 340, rod the **** out of it and "if" you blow it up, you lose a little value for non numbers. :)

Yeah, it will be about as valuable with a GENIII Hemi as it would with an LS motor. Probably more valuable with the LS. Go for it.

I'm on the fence with this one.
Personally, i would keep it as is.
If the engine was long gone and you were looking to put whatever tickles your fancy in a rolling body, i would consider the Gen 3 Hemi upgrade.
That being said, it seems the trend these days is a pro touring build on our older cars, i just watched a bazillion of them cross the blocks at Barrett Jackson getting more money than stock restorations. (Mostly Corvettes of course).
It seems that nobody cares about originality any more unless it's a very rare Hemi 'Cuda convertible etc. etc.
So, do what you like, it probably won't matter money wise, but when you go sell it, it might be EASIER to sell it with the modern Hemi etc. in it.

BTW, i love the car, i'm partial to the Dart Sports myself!
Welcome to the site, and where in Alberta do you live?

I'm on the fence with this one.
Personally, i would keep it as is.
If the engine was long gone and you were looking to put whatever tickles your fancy in a rolling body, i would consider the Gen 3 Hemi upgrade.
That being said, it seems the trend these days is a pro touring build on our older cars, i just watched a bazillion of them cross the blocks at Barrett Jackson getting more money than stock restorations. (Mostly Corvettes of course).
It seems that nobody cares about originality any more unless it's a very rare Hemi 'Cuda convertible etc. etc.
So, do what you like, it probably won't matter money wise, but when you go sell it, it might be EASIER to sell it with the modern Hemi etc. in it.

BTW, i love the car, i'm partial to the Dart Sports myself!
Welcome to the site, and where in Alberta do you live?

Ive been watching the auction as well which had me start this thread....My Dart has low mileage as far as I can tell. When I changed the heads there was still cross hatching in the cylinders and not even a carbon ridge at the top of the cylinders which lead me to believe it is low mileage...stock pistons...stock bearings etc. That is why I'm on the fence.
I live in Calgary btw.

You will need to do a slight bit of hacking on the passenger side inner fender to get the 5.7 Hemi to not beat and bang on it. If the Hemi is out of a car, you will also have to trim off the flange at the top of the passenger side frame rail so the alternator doesn't rub. Plus, if you want AC in the car....you will need to completely re-engineer the TTI motor mount on the drivers side to make it fit. I'm building a 5.7 Hemi 70 Duster with a spool mount K frame that is the same as what's in your Sport. My Hemi has only 6K miles on it, and I got it dirt cheap.......but I wish to God I'd never seen or heard about it! If I had stuck to my original plan, I would be driving my car by now instead of saving up to buy yet one more thing to make the Hemi work! If it were my car, knowing what I know now....I'd spend the money on FItech or Holley Sniper and go down the road. Me? I'm in too far to turn back! :realcrazy:

Welcome to FABO. It's a great resource. I too am from cowtown and am looking forward to seeing your car cruising around when the snow melts!

I think JDMopar's post below your last one might say it best.. Could be a lot of hassle for what it's ultimately worth. You can probably get some descent performance out of that 340.

I think resto mods a pretty cool, when done right. But for me doing one right would involve lowering, mini tubs, modern suspension, steering, wheels, tires, interior and everything wrapped up and stuffed into an old body. Maybe leave yours original 'ish' and pick up another car to restomod and gen III the crap out of so you can enjoy your current ride until you complete the restomod Down the road?

-
Back