Kevco SB Oil Pan

-

GTXperience

Orig Stealth Mod
Reaction score
Is anyone running this pan on their 408? I am looking for some real world feedback (ie. clearance issues, etc.) on it. One of our members is selling one and I am considering picking it up.

I am using one on my 408. I haven't fired the engine yet but it is in the car. It fits very nicely, no k member clearance issues. I have tti headers installed with no clearance issues either. Kevco sells a nice oil pickup tube for this pan that bolts to the #3 main cap bolt.

I am using one on my 408. I haven't fired the engine yet but it is in the car. It fits very nicely, no k member clearance issues. I have tti headers installed with no clearance issues either. Kevco sells a nice oil pickup tube for this pan that bolts to the #3 main cap bolt.

Srunge, thanks for the feedback. Did you have any clearance issues with the rods or counterweights? I know that the Milodons have to be dimpled in 3-4 spots for clearance. Are you running a windage tray? The FABO member that is selling the pan/pickup said he had trouble using the pickup with a windage tray and had to cut off the mounting tab that goes to the main cap so there is no support there.

Mine should be arriving on Friday from Kevko M302 with the pickup. If you need measurements or anything prior to me installing it, PM me. I will be installing it on the engine this weekend (408, with 4" SCAT crank), and in the car next weekend if it warms up a bit.

Eric

Thanks valentek. I may take you up on that offer. Are you planning on running a windage tray? BTW: Could you send me a pic of the pickup?

No windage tray, I've heard that they are not that benificial with the deeper pans. And I will send you a picture of the pickup when it arrives. And again if you want any measurements let me know via PM. I might end up doing it anyway so I have it for future reference.

Eric

No windage tray, I've heard that they are not that benificial with the deeper pans. And I will send you a picture of the pickup when it arrives. And again if you want any measurements let me know via PM. I might end up doing it anyway so I have it for future reference.

Eric

Eric, are you planning on running the 6 qt stock location pan or the 8-qt rear sump pan? Re: trays not being as beneficial on deep pans. It kind of makes sense that with a deeper pan, your not going to have oil sloshing on the crank as much as with a shallower pan. The interesting thing is that Kevko offers a windage tray for the rear sump pan and not one for the stock location pan.

I ordered the 6 qt pan, with all the built in stuff. They have an okay picture of it on their site at kevko.net, the pickup is also pictured there, but only one angle.

Eric

have one on a 416 stroked 340, no issues at all, did have to make some mods still to the passenger side of the K frame. But I have an early 64 dart, the pan should clear most all other years, seems built very well, has baffles, scrapers etc. and a sight glass.

djwhog, do you have any pics of the mods you had to do to the K Frame? I've been thinking about the same pan for my 64 Barracuda.

GTX, I had no problem with the rods/couterweights clearing. This is just a stock small block mopar pan that has been reworked on bottom. With the added baffles and a crank scrapper I did not use a windage tray so I can't comment on windage tray tab but that does make sense because the pickup mounts to a stud on the main cap. I would think you could set it up to work though. This went in a 71 Demon by the way. No K frame issues - fit very well.

Steve

I have one on my 67 fish with no clearance problems, the Blueprint 408 engines come with them stock.

Yes, I am running a stroker (408). I used the Eagle SIR I beam rods. They have the arp cap bolts. These give a little more clearance. Didn't need to notch the block at all.

Steve

Yes, I am running a stroker (408). I used the Eagle SIR I beam rods. They have the arp cap bolts. These give a little more clearance. Didn't need to notch the block at all.

Steve

Thanks Steve. That's what I have heard as well. It's an entirely different beast using h-beams. I all ready clearanced motor #2 and was hoping that #1 could get by without having to clearance with the ARP cap bolts. Thanks again.

djwhog, do you have any pics of the mods you had to do to the K Frame? I've been thinking about the same pan for my 64 Barracuda.

Sorry I do not, but the pass side front on the curve had to be moved in I would say about 3/4". I also heated the pan on the corner weld and smacked it in to make it a little more rounded. I was worried that when the engine torques over it would it needed a little more room. So the rounding maybe gave it yet another 1/4". When I cut the frame I did it in a way that allowed me to fold the metal back into the hoe and then weld it up. I think this in my opinion helps keep it stronger than just taking a chunk out and leaving it open.

Also the pan is not to close to the ground and the drivers side has plently of room. No engine crank or rod issues either.

I ordered the 6 qt pan, with all the built in stuff. They have an okay picture of it on their site at kevko.net, the pickup is also pictured there, but only one angle.

Eric

Eric, thanks for the pics with the measurements. That helped me quite a bit. Thanks again.

-
Back