KH brakes

-

needsaresto

Reaction score
Whats your opinion on the braking ability of a "good" Kelsey Hayes brake set?

I replaced my pads, without turning the rotors, and replaced the stock master cylinder with a power brake one from a 74-76 Dodge- bolted right in no problem, (I don't recall where I read that, but the new power MC made a huge difference- and I have manual brakes!).

They work very well, surprisingly well actually.

I'm not sure why people are so down on them, maybe because parts are not in every local store.

I definitely have to get new rotors, and I only replaced the pads to buy me time to separate the hubs from the rotors on another set. I did that last year and have yet to get new rotors.

If I had a screaming engine I might rethink them, and probably go power but keep the KH, at least at first.

I don't know if any of this helps, lol.

Yes it'does help! Was exactly what Im hoping for. Real time in with them and an honest love or hate em opinion.

Im not gonna bust anybodies "jewels" over it,lol...

My opinion is the same as yours! I always thought the brakes in my Duster were better than a vette myself. I think some issues are normal like sticking pistons,etc. We dont drive these cars often so it's small wonder they stick. Got four pistons so x4 the chance right. Silicon brake fluid can really help.

Yes it'does help! Was exactly what Im hoping for. Real time in with them and an honest love or hate em opinion.

Im not gonna bust anybodies "jewels" over it,lol...

My opinion is the same as yours! I always thought the brakes in my Duster were better than a vette myself. I think some issues are normal like sticking pistons,etc. We dont drive these cars often so it's small wonder they stick. Got four pistons so x4 the chance right. Silicon brake fluid can really help.

I've K-H on three different 340 A bodies over the last 40 years, and those cars all stopped generally well, and straight.

The parts (rotors, calipers, pads, bearings,seals) are widely available for low prices (just review old threads for info. -Centric makes the rotors to a good quality std. for cheap).

The rear drums need to be adjusted properly so they do not cause lockup under panic stops, but other than that, the K-H are very good brakes.

You know, I didn't even realize it, but mine do not pull to one side either!
Probably didn't notice because, well they don't.

The rear drums need to be adjusted properly so they do not cause lockup under panic stops, but other than that, the K-H are very good brakes.

Would you be so kind as to share this wisdom with me, so that I may keep my front end forward during panic stops?

........I've had them on a few cars..............i like them.............never switched to big bolt either......just bought cars with them on...................kim..

Would you be so kind as to share this wisdom with me, so that I may keep my front end forward during panic stops?

The bias setting via the proportioning valves on the 1965 - 72 K-H equipped cars tends to be a bit sensitve if the rear brakes are out of adjustment.

Lockups were common when the rear brakes were a bit off, and what we encountered was the rear would step out - one side or the other - when you pressed hard on the brakes, from 30 MPH on up.

I like the KH brakes and even prefer them over the single piston design when you've got non-power brakes. The design of the KH brakes are superior, IMO, to the single piston (newer) brake systems because you've got the same number of pistons on each side of the rotor sharing (if they're not sticking) the load equally. With the single piston design you've got one piston and pad on one side of the rotor and a pad/bracket/holder on the other side being pulled against the rotor at the same time the single piston is pushing against the rotor. This usually results in the pad at the piston side wearing out faster. Look at your high performance/racing/aircraft breaking systems. Most if not all of them use the multi piston design like the KH. Like anything else though with a lack of maintenance they sometimes will stick but hell I've had single piston calipers do that.

The bias setting via the proportioning valves on the 1965 - 72 K-H equipped cars tends to be a bit sensitve if the rear brakes are out of adjustment.

Lockups were common when the rear brakes were a bit off, and what we encountered was the rear would step out - one side or the other - when you pressed hard on the brakes, from 30 MPH on up.

Dont the star wheel:dontknow: adjusters keep the drums properly adjusted? I think you had to slam the brakes in reverse to get them star wheel adjusters to work right.:dontknow::dontknow:

Right... this is exactly what happens to me. So I just need to get an adjustable proportioning valve and tweak it?

-
Back