Kickdown Adjustment

-

1970Dart198

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I developed a bad exhaust leak while driving down to college in Charleston, SC. I got the manifold gasket replaced and a few other things replaced as well. The mechanic put on a metal shim between the two manifolds where they connect by the heat riser, and put on a larger base gasket for the Carburetor. Everything runs fine except when I go to cold start the car and when I'm braking.

I have checked every possible thing (choke, mixture, idle) everything. I'm hitting myself over the head for not realizing the bigger gasket and shim put the kickdown linkage out of adjustment.

I don't have a workbench or power tools as I go to a Military College. Just the tools in my trunk. How can I re adjust my kickdown linkage so that my car can better cold - start and not BANG when stopping at a stoplight in Charleston?

Thank you!

I hear a long rambling complaint from an unhappy camper. What I dont hear is what its actually doing.
-Youre going to have to give us a bit more to go on. And a pic of the linkages would be nice; especially of the choke linkage on a fully warmed up engine, and of course, the suspect KD linkage. Also, how many minutes is it from when you first start it to the said stoplight? And what else is going on when it "bangs"? And are you saying the engine is hard-to-start when fully warmed up? And why-oh-why do you suspect the KD linkage. And by larger gasket I assume you mean thicker, right? And finally, why are you not taking it back to the guy who previously worked on it?
-what color is the balloon I am holding? See what I did there?

AJ/FormS has a smarta$$ way of putting it but more info wold be helpful in order to help you. That metal shim between the two manifolds is supposed to be there and should have been there before the repair. What do you mean by "cold start problems"? Is it hard to start or won't stay running? You said a "few other things" were replaced. What were they? What do you mean BANG at the stoplight? You can find the 1970 Dart service manual here. http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109 I know there are more questions here and no help but maybe the answers could help everyone here get you some help.

Perhaps I was a bit harsh. My wife loves me, but sometimes she doesnt like me all that much. I apologize to all I have offended or may in the future. I am trying to become a better person.And I really do want to help.

Today I went out and adjusted the kickdown linkage, I pulled the rod all the way back to WOT and adjusted the rod that connects from the transmission to the bracket near the manifolds.

WOW what a much better response I got! It was a simple 7/16'' bolt that I loosened and lengthened the rod about 5/8'' from its initial setting. Now I have to adjust/fine tune the curb idle and mixture, but right now it drives a lot better!

There was one low thud and it sounded like it came from the rear of the car (differential?) But driving around in the city, and there were no problems. I'm going to check out the cold start tomorrow and see if maybe the linkage adjustment helps with cold start.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Attachments

• 20141005_092936.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 174
Yes! When I was driving around there were no problems! I'm going to drive around some more and make sure the kick-down stays in adjustment. I believe it was the thicker gasket that made me have to adjust the linkage. A very easy fix. Now onto the cold starts...

-
Back