Kieth Black block

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
A while ago I emailed KB about there aluminum HEMI block. I received an email form them, this particular line has me wondering

""Race Ready". All you need to do is a final wash and start assembling."

They made mention several times of the block being machined to my specific specs. I am hoping to buy a block in the not to distant future and am wondering how true this is. I have seen the same claim on the World Products aluminum block as well. I thought different style rings required different hones? How could it be finish bored if they do not have the pistons that will be used in the block? Hmmmmmm

Very legitimate question. One I would ask them.

Buy your block through the machine shop that will be checking it and building it. Make sure the machine shop does everything in house. If they have to sub anything out don't use them. Buy a raw bare block so you know you don't get a repaired return.

Also the shop that does the motor should Have a Rottler. This is the only way to correctly machine and square deck the block. By using the mains and cam tunnel for the reference.

Remember the block is the foundation. I had a shop ruin two X blocks. That was a lesson I wouldn't want anyone to learn through. expense

you will need to call kb. he will ask you a million questions and you better know all the specs of your parts and the clearances. you will also receive the correct fasteners and it will be machined correctly for you to wash and assemble.

If they are not building the motor do not let them machine the block. Just a warning. Also aluminum blocks grow with heat. Solid lift is not recommended for any street use. Valve adjustment changes. Make sure the block has the lifter oil galley for hyd. lifters. My friend has one that doesn't. What a nightmare. There is a lot to know when buying a block from them. Do your homework.

Keith Black specifically machines the block to the user's specification - including cylinder wall finish - and they are VERY good and particular about them. There is a reason the the money they get - and that's quality of everything from casting to machining. If you buy anyone else's block I agree with OMM. And by all means when it's delivered it should be checked to verify all is what you wanted. But it's rare that there are any issues with them as delivered - and the couple I've heard about KB took back and fixed on their dime.

-
Back