LA block running magnum heads

-

bbizelli

Reaction score
Hey guys haven't been on here in a while been super busy with work and stuff... First off i'm sure there is stuff on here about this currently but wasn't very successful finding anything lol. Anyways i was looking to build a 360 motor and install a set of magnum heads on it (heard that's the way to go for cheap build??) I know you need to get different push rods, lifters, cam etc. Main questions are is it worth it to get them? Do i need the magnum R/t heads or will a nice set from a junk yard work (obviously go threw them mangnaflux etc.) What is the selection of cams for this application? I will probably be running a nice set of light weight pistons get everything balanced will probably get a cam from .500 to .550 lift? My uncles helping a lot with the more specifics of the motor with all that but he builds 440s mainly and isn't too familiar with all the small block applications. Has anyone done the magnum conversion and do you think its worth doing or would standard LA heads be better? Sorry about the book i wrote haha just trying to get info on everything probably build it over the winter or so if everything goes as planned... Thanks for all the help guys!!

I built my first 360 that way, you can check out by build thread:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=166285

Judging by what you've said so far I think it would be a worthwhile swap. However there is an option you may want to look into and that is getting a set of RHS LA-X heads; these have the closed chambers and the ports are similar to the Magnums but improved significantly. They also allow you to run LA-style shaft-mount rockers which are arguably a better design for higher HP levels, and the best part have the LA-style intake bolt pattern which gives you WAY more options for intake manifolds.

You can find Magnums for cheap at most junkyards but 80% of the time they have cracks between the valve seats which makes them useless. Also they can't support cams with over .525" lift without having the guides cut down.

If you haven't bought a core engine yet I'd suggest getting an entire Magnum engine since it will have provisions for a roller cam from the factory. But overall you can run any LA cam out there, there are literally hundreds of choices from Comp, Lunati, Hughes, and many others.

What kind of car is it going in? And the intended use?

It will be going in my 72 duster planning on making it into a street strip car/ old school drag car kinda (like people would build in the 80s or so) Really want a small block stroker but decided this would be a better option both for my wallet and don't want to make it so powerful im afraid of it. I have heard about the crack you are talking about with the heads which is the main thing that concerns me is there any way to tell if it is or not? And i read somewhere you can take the heads to a machine shop and have them re drilled for LA intakes not 100% sure on it but thats just what i have read... Are the LA heads your talking about a stock LA head or an aftermarket head? I have looked at aftermarket heads but cant really squeeze that kind of cash out for them like 600 and up for a single bare head some places... But an input is greatly appreciated!

I hear what you mean, same reason I couldn't go with aftermarket heads with my build. In that case I would recommend looking in the FABO classifieds for someone selling stock Magnums in good shape. The only way to check if JY ones are cracked is to pull them and have them cleaned and looked at with a magnifying lens or magnafluxed by your machine shop which costs money. Also most machine shops should be able to re-drill the intake bolt holes, not sure how much it costs.

Do you expect to drive your car in colder weather? If not you could just get an Edelbrock Air-Gap intake for Magnums. And/or get one of the old factory air cleaners with the hot-air valve.

FWIW my 360 has brutal torque as it is since the cam is a bit small for the cubes/compression, and I put a little over $2000 in it. For basically the same amount of money if you instead put in a good mid-range single-pattern cam (Comp 270H for example) and port the heads a bit (mine are untouched except for smoothing the chamber edges down) it would really pick up the HP in the 3000-5500 RPM range. Then run a 670-750 cfm Holley with 3.55 gears and 2500-stall converter and your car would kick some serious *** at the drag strip but be easy to drive on the street.

I'm sure some other members here can give some good advice on cam and head stuff too...

It wont really be driven in cold weather that much except here in there in the winter. I live in Missouri so the weathers all over the place sometimes but primarily ran in the hotter months. I would like to run a tunnel ram on it i like the look of it and performance aspects too. And probably get them gasket matched if not a little more then that.

-
Back