LA MPI Conversion

-

Infecteddog

Reaction score
I'm aware some folks on here have done MPI swaps without using the Magnum PCMs or cam/crank sensors.

Well- what kind of crank sensor setups have you used successfully?

I'm in the process now. Since I am going megasquirt 3, I bought a custom 36-1 crank wheel from Miller's Mule http://www.millersmule.com/MillersMuleStore/en/trigger-wheels/41-36-1-trigger-wheel.html

Mine is 6" with a 4.3" hole for the 1970 Non-A/C crank pulley
20150211_170843_zpsbtv72rti.jpg

Going to use a Ford 3.0 V6 Vulcan crank sensor which is just like this:
m4zOs1zCb1ZoAXypzMweXtQ.jpg

They go for about $9 usually and the connector is the same as a common fuel injector so they are easy to find. Plan to make a bracket that mounts either to the pan rail or to the water pump bolts. Since it's below zero outside I can't really work on it now.

For the cam sensor, the cheap/obvious option is the 5.2/5.9 magnum distributor as it has a half/half crank wheel already in it. Since I will be running coil near plug (GM LSx), I cut it down and I'll have a plate over the top of it instead of the distributor cap, but if you weren't doing that it works well as a distributor too.

Going to be using the super victor efi intake and fuel rails, Holley 1000 cfm throttle body, FAST EV-1 style injectors (actual Bosch ones). All my other sensors are GM style.

-
Back