LA roller cam ideas

-

Pound

Reaction score
I have an '89 ram with a tb fuel injected 318. My question is: is there an aftermarket towing/rv cam out there for this that retains the roller lifters? If not can i advance the existing cam to maybe improve performance. Emissions are NOT a concern where i live. I really hate to reuse a stock smog cam, but will if i have to. Thanks for any insight from all the experts out there!

THIS! ^^^^ Oregon, will fix you nice... Put a good true double roller timing chain on it, new matching valve springs help.

Does the regrind require new pushrods?

Possibly, at least you knew to ask. You can buy a Comp adjustable pushrod, for about 20-25 bucks. Mock it up, see what length you need.

http://www.oregoncamshaft.com/Hydraulic-Rol-Cam-Specs.html
You added a new twist, with the factory EFI... Emissions doesn't matter,when working with stock 80's EFI systems, they are self limited without ECM mods. I like grind 1254, it has a wide lobe center,(117), moderate bump in duration @ .050 and lift. Not gonna get a big h.p. gain with a EFI cam swap, you need to pick all the small detail up on early EFI.

Comp Cams offers cams for this sortof build.

If your running a electric fuel pump:
the short snout 254HR-12 PN# 20-628-9

If your running a Mech fuel pump:
the long snout 254HR-12 PN# 20-618-9

I just installed a Long snout 262HR-12 PN# 20-612-9 in a roller 360 for my 86 Ramcharger 4x4 and it was a night and day difference between the mild 318 I had in it before.

-
Back