lakewood bellhousing removal

-

dusterbd13

Reaction score
so, i built my car close ro a decade ago, and have built quite a few others since then. car is a 70 duster 4 speed car.

when i built it this last time, i used a lakewhood bellhousing and block plate. i did no tranny tunnel mods, firewall mods, etc for the installation of the bellhousing.

the problem is, i dont remember wether or not i put the motor in with the bellhousing attached, or put the bellhousing in after engine install. i want to say i put the engine in with the bellhousing attached, for some reason, i also used 2-3 inch long locating pins fpr the bellhousing. dont ask me why....

since i broke my a-833, amd now have to chenge the clutch for the tremec swap, as well as modify the pattern on the bellhousing, i need to remove the bellhousing.

does anyone know if i can remove it without pulling the engine (tti headers as well, for what its worth...), or am i pretty much looking at pulling the engine with the bell attached to remove the bell? part of me actually WANTS to pull the motor, just to clean thinngs up and change the leaking pan gasket. part of me just wants to get the new trans in and get the car back on the road, bellhousing removal pretty much is my deciding factor here.

so what say ye? pull motor to remove bellhousing, or not?

I think you already know the answer if the pan is leaking. As i remember there is a lot of bolts on that scatter shield.

I'll be doing this same thing next spring..... I believe that the engine may have to move a bit to get the bell housing off the engine, due to the tight engine compartment (firewall) and trying to slide the bellhousing off the engine with the clutch in the way.... I don't think that there is enough room to do so. I could be wrong but...... Letus know what you did, it will help me this spring!

-
Back