Last minute questions

-

4mulaSvaliant

Reaction score
As I sit at my porcelin easy chair, reading old mopar action mags. I read some trans mods that cost nothing and realized they may be able to be used with my TF2 transgo kit that I just installed.
So here are the mods and I am wondering if I should do them!

One was to remove the large spring just above the valve body (cant remember the name) saying it would firm up the shifts.
Well, what the kit said to do was replace it with the one in the kit, and if it didnt fit , then use the original spring. So my logic is: if I have the orig. spring in there, can I just take it out, or will the mods made by the kit need to have a spring?

Ok so that one is a lil' sketchy to answer unless you are pretty knowledgable on the subject. But this next one might be a bit easier.

The other mod is to adjust the (once again cant think of the name) ALLEN Headed Screw which is on the side of the VB until it is almost all the way out, leaving just enough threads hanging out to be safe. This too should make shifts "firmer" and shift a little later.
Now on this, the kit didnt talk about adjusting this screw so I set it back to where it was originally.
I have a feeling I can do this mod/adjustment with no ill reprocutions but the first mod I just dont have enough knowledge of the trans to make the call.
Anyone know what to do here? thx guys! The car is going back together starting next week!

hah at first I sat here thinking what did I write about Type F?

LOL But yes I will be running type F when I put it in. thx though!

The first mod sounds like tossing the accumulator spring. A lot of the shift kits call for pitching this spring. The accumulator acts like a shock absorber for the system, so if you want to transmit the maximum amount of shock to your drivetrain, by all means chuck it. The second mod sounds like cranking up the line pressure. This mod sort of goes hand-in-hand with the blocked accumulator (since you no longer have the ability to store fluid under pressure, you just make more pressure). There are 2 drawbacks to this one. First when you raise the pressure, you increase the load on the pump. The pump is robust and can handle the load just fine, but it will take that much more power to operate the transmission, and make more heat. How much more power? Probably less than 5 hp at high RPM. The other drawback is the higher pressure would make any bind up during shift overlap worse. Trans-go does a pretty good job with shift timing, so this shouldnt be too big of an issue.

So here's my question; since you spent a lot of money for the engineering in this kit why would you not want to follow it's instructions? There is a phone # in the instructions, so why not "Ask Mr. Shift"? Call them and see what they say (and let us know for future reference).

If you just want to see how hard you can make the tranny bang, thump,and jerk around until something breaks, the $29.95 B&M kit would have done fine.

A buddy of mine did the first two mods to the trans in his Ram, plus ran type F and he never had any problems. The trans shifted hard enough to chirp the tires at the right speed, didn't shift too early and really kept the 318 in it's power band. It's not for everyone though, as it gets annoying having the trans bump into gear at low speeds.

If you cant afford the $40 B$M kit, you cant afford to mess wiht the control systems of the tranny. You are creating a transmission that will destroy itself over time. Sometimes a little time, sometimes longer. In any case, it aint worth it. The accumulator can operate without the spring. It make sthe 2nd gear band slam on. but, it means if you manually shift, the 2nd gear ban comes on before the low/rev band comes off. It's call "shift overlap" and it wwears both bands and creates a ton of heat and stress. The higher pressure wont help. You need to increase the throittle pressure too to make things work right, and without adding springs in the high gear clutch, it'suseless, and creates more wasted clutch material and heat. If you dont know how something works, don't try to "make it better."

hey guys I got exactly what I needed, and that is that Ill leave it as it stands. I bought the TF2 kit because it has a good reputation. Ill be leaving it alone! As it is I built it to be what they call "high perf. street" or something like that. The only mod I didnt make from the kit was the "shift into any gear at any speed" Thought that was a lil' un-needed. Well thx for the info guys.

i think the transgo kit is much better than the b&m discard the spring adjust your line pressure allenhead using one of the panbolts as a gauge is what my moparperformance trick books says also said that type f fluid has firmer shifts because it has no friction adtives in it which burns your cluthes up theres a writeup about in mopar magazine i get from mopar said to use atf+4 thats what i changed mine to 4 bucks a quart

I agree with the guys on leaving it as the Trans-go engineers designed. But you might want to look at the Trans-go instructions again because the ones I've installed allways have you adjust out the line pressure adjustment. Maybe you overlooked that part in the instructions.

I would like to install a shift kit in my 904, is it something that can be done with the trans in the car?

-
Back