Late model ford question

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
Hey I gotta question for you guys that know more about late model stuff. I have a 04 mercury mountaineer with a 4.6 it has one of the oil change percentage calculators in the dash, no matter what it always says oil change required! I can change the oil right now reset it to 100 percent and drive it half a mile it immediately pops up and says oil change required again. What controls this and how do I fix it?

Hey I gotta question for you guys that know more about late model stuff. I have a 04 mercury mountaineer with a 4.6 it has one of the oil change percentage calculators in the dash, no matter what it always says oil change required! I can change the oil right now reset it to 100 percent and drive it half a mile it immediately pops up and says oil change required again. What controls this and how do I fix it?

It's probably fixin to blow up. lol But seriously I found this:

"Turn the ignition to run (one position before starting engine).
Select this function from the SETUP control “PRESS RESET AT OIL CHANGE”.
Press RESET control to reset oil change.
Turn the ignition off and then start the engine to verify the indicator has been reset."

Is that what you're doing?

It's probably fixin to blow up. lol But seriously I found this:

"Turn the ignition to run (one position before starting engine).
Select this function from the SETUP control “PRESS RESET AT OIL CHANGE”.
Press RESET control to reset oil change.
Turn the ignition off and then start the engine to verify the indicator has been reset."

Is that what you're doing?
Yea that what I do. I hit the reset button and it will pop up and say that it's reset and oil life is at 100% but then when I start driving it immediately drops down again. I have good oil pressure its really not a big deal just annoying listening to it beep everytime I start driving. It gives an alarm like a fuel light would. Its been doing it for a while now I just never really thought about trying to fix it until now lol

Yea that what I do. I hit the reset button and it will pop up and say that it's reset and oil life is at 100% but then when I start driving it immediately drops down again. I have good oil pressure its really not a big deal just annoying listening to it beep everytime I start driving. It gives an alarm like a fuel light would. Its been doing it for a while now I just never really thought about trying to fix it until now lol

It may need a reflash.

You are actually resetting it via the menu and reset button? Or does it have that?
Yes im reseting it thru the menu on the dash you have to scroll through till you get to the oil life menu then hold reset it will go to 100 percent but once you start driving it falls back down. I figured it was a bad sensor or something dirty in the engine. Im not sure what actually reads the oil life?

I reset all the codes with my pocket reader even tho I didn't have any lights i got abs code I reset all. Im not sure if that reflashes it or not?

No. A reflash requires a trip to the dealer.

Yes im reseting it thru the menu on the dash you have to scroll through till you get to the oil life menu then hold reset it will go to 100 percent but once you start driving it falls back down. I figured it was a bad sensor or something dirty in the engine. Im not sure what actually reads the oil life?
engine revolutions

You have a 2004 vehicle with extensive computer buttfuckery. You're not gonna find the answer plunderin around on a forum. I've been lookin my good eyeball out on the internet for an answer for you and all I come up with is the procedure on how to reset the thing. You already know that. If you know someone at a local Ford dealer, I would suggest maybe gettin with them and see. If not, I suggest gettin with the Ford dealer and see. If it's "I caint afford that", then don't buy another one. lol

But it's like you said.....you know it's full and has good pressure. Maybe put a piece of electrical tape over it? LOL

Last edited:
You have a 2004 vehicle with extensive computer buttfuckery. You're not gonna find the answer plunderin around on a forum. I've been lookin my good eyeball out on the internet for an answer for you and all I come up with is the procedure on how to reset the thing. You already know that. If you know someone at a local Ford dealer, I would suggest maybe gettin with them and see. If not, I suggest gettin with the Ford dealer and see. If it's "I caint afford that", then don't buy another one. lol
I was doing the same. I like the black tape version. lol Turn it upside down like an hour glass and watch the percentage come back. Some funny dudes out there. PS I just said engine revolutions cause I read that and it makes sense. Could have something to do with the alignment of the stars. :rolleyes:

I was doing the same. I like the black tape version. lol Turn it upside down like an hour glass and watch the percentage come back. Some funny dudes out there. PS I just said engine revolutions cause I read that and it makes sense. Could have something to do with the alignment of the stars. :rolleyes:

You may well be right....it's either that or it gets a reference off the digital odometer somehow. It's wrapped up in computer craptasticness, you better believe. Who knows what it is? It could be some kinda cluster failure.

I just thought maybe someone here had one or knew someone that had the same problem before. Im not worried about it I was just setting here thinking about it.

I just thought maybe someone here had one or knew someone that had the same problem before. Im not worried about it I was just setting here thinking about it.

...and I was hopin I could find something for you. I struck out.

Not too sure I'd be calling an 04 a "late model" Just sayin

-
Back