leaking holley 1920

-

73goldduster

Reaction score
hi all, the fuel bowl is leaking a little onto the intake. recently rebuilt the carb and it runs well, except for the leak. didnt use sealant on it, probably should have. i got some permatex 2b cause its the only one at the store that says its fuel safe.
going to open up the fuel bowl tomorrow morning to goop it up. anything i should know? is there a specific torque for the four fasteners?
thanks for any advice!

I wouldn't use any sealant on the bowl or metering block, if the gaskets don't seal something is wrong. Maybe check for old gasket material or warped bowl, it could also be the accelerator pump cover, or the fuel inlet.
I used sealant once and the carb never ran again the sealant came off and got into the passages.

Ya, I agree. I would not use any kind of sealant on your carb. Did you make sure the surface was REALLY CLEAN???? Otherwise I would look into what BWDart is saying.

I just rebuild my 1920. At first mine was doing the same thing. So I took the bowl off, looked everything over and put it back on. I think I just did not have it seated correct and was cocked a little.. Worse case you can go and get just a bowl gasket. whatever you do, dont use sealant on the carb.

glad i asked. i thought both surfaces were pretty clean. hosed them down with carb cleaner and rubbed off all deposits/junk. i guess i'll just pull it apart, clean it again and put it back together. the parts store could only get the bowl gasket as part of a complete rebuild kit, i think it was about $20-30. i'll have to reuse the gasket cause i cant afford a whole rebuild kit.
thanks for the advice guys! i'll post in a day or two to let you know if it worked.

-
Back