leaking T-stat housing

-

OlDuster

Reaction score
I just re-did my thermostat housing. I purchased a new chrome housing, sandblasted and powder coated it. It started to seep so I installed 2 gaskets. It held for awhile but started leaking this winter. I took it apart and checked out the mounting surface. Whoa! It was warped badly. I used a large sanding belt to take the warp out of the housing. I then had to maching a new groove for the thermostat. After doing the machining, I re-installed the housing with a single gasket. It works great. No more seeping! I think I will get another housing and machine a groove into it for an O-ring. I know this is what the Chevvies do. Seems like a simple task to keep this housing from seeping. NE1 done one of these with an O-ring?

You probably have a white metal housing that are junk as far as forging is concerned.I have seen these due to warpage abd even leak through the casting it self.The best is to havea solid alley housing and have a o-ring installed,with good thick compression area,Mrmopartech

If it starts to leak again,LOL;
Take the chrome one, and throw it in the recycle bin,
and put an Old Mopar part on. ;)

LOL< yeah the o-ring way is cool, if you want to pay a machine shop $20 to make the groove;
If they will do it that cheap.:(

Chevy,and Ford fans get to buy stuff cheaper than us Mopar nuts do.

I would love to own,and drive a 1954 Hudson Hornet, but, don't have the money,
to scrounge parts for one.

175px-HudsonHorAdvert54.jpg

Olduster , I had the same problem with the same part. It was nearly concave, so I put it on the disc sander. I didn`t have to go as far as to rework the thermostat groove, but I did use a lot of silicone and cut my own gasket from extra thick gasket material. That chrome housing must be another one of those new parts that are crap from the factory!

Longgone said:
Olduster , I had the same problem with the same part. That chrome housing must be another one of those new parts that are crap from the factory!

In the year or so that I've been on the early A body boards, I think this is the third time someone has had a leaking CHROME t'stat housing. My semi-grungy ol' MOPAR housing doesn't shine, but it doesn't leak either!

I order the cast iron one from my local store. I think its made by 4 seasons. those "hecho in china" chrome water neck by MP are a friggin joke. do you think they could use crappier metal? mine lasted 3 months before it started leaking. i gladly added to my scrap metal pile.

NAPA sells a new non- chromed housing.

OlDuster said:
I just re-did my thermostat housing. I purchased a new chrome housing, sandblasted and powder coated it. It started to seep so I installed 2 gaskets. It held for awhile but started leaking this winter. I took it apart and checked out the mounting surface. Whoa! It was warped badly. I used a large sanding belt to take the warp out of the housing. I then had to maching a new groove for the thermostat. After doing the machining, I re-installed the housing with a single gasket. It works great. No more seeping! I think I will get another housing and machine a groove into it for an O-ring. I know this is what the Chevvies do. Seems like a simple task to keep this housing from seeping. NE1 done one of these with an O-ring?

-
Back