LEAKY 8 3/4 HOUSING ?? Urghhh

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
My 8 3/4 leaks down the back of the housing when I drive it... ALOT !

At first I thought it was the gasket I used ( trying to do it the correct way...) so I pulled the
pumpkin and used silicon.... still leaks ! Thing is that its not dripping from the gasket joint...
but down the back of the housing...seems to be originating from the top of housing where the back plate is welded on.... or where the brake line stay is tacked on.
I cant feel or see any hole or crack....even took pics of the top of housing .

I replaced the NEW vent tube vavle with an old loosy goosy one to make sure pressure wasnt building....still leaks !

put a rubber hose on the vent fitting and put no more then 10 psi air pressure to it. Spray rear with dish soap and watch for bubbles.

your a freakin genius ! Of course the leak is somewhere up on top obscured from all prying eyes by gas tank , shocks and exhaust..... but I will find a way.

I like the white on your Dart Sport ! I've had several of those... 2 B5 340 cars ( 1 4sp) , 1 Brown 318 Covertriple and a Copper 340-4sp 71 Demon with dual snorkel hood , sport mirrors and a Go-wing

Could be the vent as well. Is it gear oil, or something thinner like brake fluid.

Mine started leaking brake fluid from where the brake line goes into the block at the vent. Took awhile to find it. I loosened it,then kept going tighter and tighter until it finally stopped leaking.

The dish soap idea is mega genius. Those rear ends are known for porous welds. I am sure that's what it is.

-
Back