Leaky Slant 6

-

hd883r

Reaction score
I rebuilt my slant 6 and I have continued to have an oil leak that I cannot get ride of. On the passenger side of the block the oil is running down the side of the block under the head. I have replaced the head gasket with in 1000 miles of the rebuild with no improvement. Any ideas or suggestions (different brand head gasket other then felpro, etc?). I am running a '72 block with an '82 hydraulic cylinder head.

Matt

It is rare for a head gasket to leak oil to the outside. My 1996 Chrysler 2.4L did that, as most did. They came out with a multi-layer steel (MLS) gasket which fixed it, but I haven't heard of an MLS gasket for a slant. I haven't heard of such an oil leak in slants, but most are a bit oily on the passenger side anyway from either the valve cover or leaks around the "drool tube" spark plug tubes (which your 82 head doesn't have). If nothing here, post on www.slantsix.org where some experts are.

I really dont think its the head as said above . But when you have a slanty Oil driping just comes along with it .. I use to clean my slanty one to two times a week in my old val

Believe it not, everything was painted when I installed the engine, so the oil is clearly not coming from the valve cover (or breather).

Matt

Oil pump bolts,Oil pressure sending unit,oil filter all tight ?Turbulence will blow the oil all different kinds of ways !!Maybe even the fuel pump being loose allowing oil to seep by !! Just trying to cover all options !!!

Thanks 6pakattach, everything is tight. I am really wondering if the flatness of the head needs to be checked. I am going to stop by the machine shop that did the block work when it was rebuilt and ask them some additionally questions next week.

I put a 350 together (yea, I know) once, and as it ran the high valve spring pressures began to lift the pressed in rocker studs out. The rockers started tapping the cover and puty a hole in it. Maybe the oil isn't getting around the cover, but thru it.

I thought the hydraulic heads were different somehow. I KNOW the truck heads are.

Check the bolts/studs that mount the alternator mount to the block. They go into the tappet area in the block, and can leak. The oil will travel back. It is best to use studs, with thread sealer, rather then bolts.

check your spark plugs. i had the same issue, change valve cover gasket and still got leaks....turned out after asking around on the forums, my spark plugs go down into tubes. someone recommended i replace the gaskets for the tubes.
the gaskets were SUPER cheap since they were just some O-ring type things. did that and problem solved.

just thought i would throw that out there, i would have never figured that out on my own.

pull the spark plugs and the little metal tube will pull out, might be a little stuck but i pulled all of mine with with my finger, slide off the old gasket, slide on the new and put it all back. was a very simple fix, within a few days of driving my motor had completely dried up, now the only leak i have is around my oil cap from steam.

Check the bolts/studs that mount the alternator mount to the block. They go into the tappet area in the block, and can leak. The oil will travel back. It is best to use studs, with thread sealer, rather then bolts.

Thanks - I did not realize this, and some of the oil is definitely coming from the front of the head. I think you might be onto something!

Matt

Thanks - I did not realize this, and some of the oil is definitely coming from the front of the head. I think you might be onto something!

Matt

After looking at my engine tonight it is pretty clear that at least some of the leakage is from the alternator bracket.

Thanks Charrlie!

Matt

Attachments

• image.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 257
-
Back