Leaky Thermostat gasket solution.

-

cudaspaz

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

Was meeting my buddy at sonic yesterday and he started puking coolant as soon as he hit the parking lot with his 68 340-s cuda.
I noticed his paper thermostat gasket did the famous blow out with a large chunk of paper sticking out of the front of the housing.

I ran him to the automparts store and he got another paper gasket and some rtv.
I noticed the mr gasket t stat for small and big block Chevys hanging on the rack so I matched up his paper mopar gasket to the bad *** rubber embossed Chevy one and it looked like a perfect match.

Long story short, we cleaned up his housing and intake mating surfaces, not perfect but reasonably clean.
Bolted the new mr gasket on there, refilled and fired it,up....perfect fit, no leaks.

This is the one we bought in the link.

I am going to a buy a few of these to keep in my car just in case I need one or I may have to save someone's *** at a car show or cruise since it should cover most classic car engines since Chevy is so popular.
I think they also fit ford.

http://www.google.com/search?q=mr+g...ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CFMQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=672

Thanksssssssss for the tip,always great to help out ah.

Yeah man.
Just took it for a good cruise today, holding fine.
By the way he has some serious pitting on the intake surface.

I like this gasket because you don't need any rtv sealant, just bolt it on and go.

That's the one I'm using on the Eddy small block performer intake.
I wallowed out the water neck housing bolt holes to use the sbc bolt pattern.
That intake has both patterns on the boss. Probably so you can use cheap sbc chrome water necks.
So far, so good.

-
Back