Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel

-

TheMopars

Reaction score
Ever since I bought my Barracuda the steering wheel cover on it bothered me but I knew it had
to be covering up some cracks. I recently saw a post on FB 67-69 BOG about installing a leather
steering wheel cover. I ordered one in black leather and did the install over the weekend. Sure
enough when I took the old vinyl cover off there were a few cracks. I filled in the 2 I knew I'd be
able feel to feel through the cover and then installed. Pretty much exactly what I wanted. My wheel
was plain black, without the woodgrain look and metal ring so I wasn't planning to restore the wheel
anyway. Very happy with how it came out and less that $20 for the kit.

Also recently replaced all the dash and interior bulbs with LED's, replaced the headlight switch (no more
flickering) and installed new carpets and mats. Next up fixing the rest of the leaks (fixed 3 so far) and
learning how to tune her a little better, runs a little rich and could probably be timed a bit better.

IMG_6271 2.jpeg

IMG_8904.jpeg

Last edited:
My Cortina came with a chrome three spoke real wood wheel when I
got it. But the chrome was rusty garbage, and the wood looked like the bottom of an old sailing ship.
So I blasted the chrome, painted it satin black, and my girlfriend at the time scratch built a lined red leather cover, and sewed it on. Still looks good, fifteen years later.
That new cover is a HUGE improvement in your Cuda!

Did the same thing with the woodgrain wheel that I put in my 69 D200, it made a huge difference...

Ever since I bought my Barracuda the steering wheel cover on it bothered me but I knew it had
to be covering up some cracks. I recently saw a post on FB 67-69 BOG about installing a leather
steering wheel cover. I ordered one in black leather and did the install over the weekend. Sure
enough when I took the old vinyl cover off there were a few cracks. I filled in the 2 I knew I'd be
able feel to feel through the cover and then installed. Pretty much exactly what I wanted. My wheel
was plain black, without the woodgrain look and metal ring so I wasn't planning to restore the wheel
anyway. Very happy with how it came out and less that $20 for the kit.

Also recently replaced all the dash and interior bulbs with LED's, replaced the headlight switch (no more
flickering) and installed new carpets and mats. Next up fixing the rest of the leaks (fixed 3 so far) and
learning how to tune her a little better, runs a little rich and could probably be timed a bit better.

View attachment 1716146384

View attachment 1716146385
How about sharing a link for the wrap?

Check out Coveritcanada. They are in Windsor. I wraped my 67 wheel with a few layers of grip tape and ordered a cover for the exact new size. I wanted a little thicker grip. Then did the baseball stitch like OE leather wheels. I love it now.

Check out Coveritcanada. They are in Windsor. I wraped my 67 wheel with a few layers of grip tape and ordered a cover for the exact new size. I wanted a little thicker grip. Then did the baseball stitch like OE leather wheels. I love it now.
That's the one thing that would improve the feel, a thicker wheel. I watched the video on the baseball stitch, looks awesome but didn't think I'd have the patience to get around the whole wheel. As it was I took two beer breaks, it was pretty warm in the garage lol.

-
Back