Lebaron fuel pressure problem

-

Pound

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a frustrating problem with the wife's 1990 Lebaron convertible. The car sat for about 7 years while I avoided working on it, now we want to drive it but I keep randomly losing fuel pressure. It sounds like the fuel pump is running, although maybe not the best. This is the second pump i've tried. Also replaced the filter and rubber lines. The car will run ok for a while, then suddenly the pressure drops to about 10psi. Can someone tell me what the little diaphram on the pump does and could that be my problem? and yes the gas is kinda nasty, but not the worst i've seen. Hopefully someone has seen this problem before. Thanks for helping!

As a Guess I'd lean towards the fuel pressure regulator. I believe it is mounted to the throttle body, possibly could be an injector hanging open but as I stated that is a guess.

We had similar problems with 88 to 92 model Accords ( rebuilding wrecks ).
Many times a new regulator cured them. A few times the cheap aftermarket pumps were the problem. Best plan is clean out all the nasty fuel and replace both at once with quality parts.

Regulator seems ok. I probably will try a new pump assembly as everything on this one looks corroded. Maybe a new tank too, or I'll just sell the darned thing and concentrate on the good stuff in the garage!

-
Back