LED bulbs for dash lights

-
Reaction score
I wanted to post this here. I have a 72 Dart that i wanted to have brighter dash lights. I found the Sylvania 168/194/2825 Signal Bulb 34717. I tried different LED bulbs i found on eBay and amazon, they did not light up the dash, but the sylvania bulbs had the most light. The dart has 3 bulbs in the dash, I only replaced 2 but the sppedo shot shows the LED lit side on the left and the regular bulb on the right. This is a quick modification that makes a visible difference, the bulb above is a drop in for any 194 bulb.

These are the really bright license plate light bulbs that are in use on Lexus BMW Etc.

Attachments

• IMG_2940.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 740
  • IMG_2942.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 687
  • IMG_2944.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 728
Are they still under blue covers or is there a colored filter in the dash? Could you do them in red?

The only thing I'd be concerned about would
maybe be amperage draw and if they might
overload the traces.
Your could still jumper them.

I put them in the stock holder, and the blue filter is built into the dash. I replaced the third one yesterday and it looks great at night.

slant6dan recommended Sylvania 2825 a few years ago. I've recommended and/or installed no other bulb since.

Are they still under blue covers or is there a colored filter in the dash? Could you do them in red?

These are 12 v Red LEDS and will be going in my dash this summer.

Attachments

• GetAttachment1.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 487
Red lights with white face gauges should produce a lovely PINK ! LOL

I use them in my A's and 80's M-B cars. You can't dim them very well, but I need all the light I can get anyway, especially in the M-B where I could barely see the speedo at night before. In theory, they should last forever, but I had two 1156 ones that looked cool w/ big heat sinks but failed in 1 sec. One dash bulb has started coming and going, but could be a loose connection. Another advantage is they won't melt the blue bulb surround in an A, or otherwise degrade the dash plastic like a hot incandescent can. Even with the same bulb#, not all physically fit. You also must look close at the terminal. One type fried a trace in my M-B dash because it bridged the holder, but that is more due to the different M-B holders (look like Mopar 1/4 turn, but differ).

Picked up some leds for the dart this winter off of ebay. They were a pack of 20 194's don't remember the cost but it wasn't bad. The dash always seemed a little dim but thats the way they were. Just put the white leds in the instrument cluster replacing all the 194's. Much better and you can dim them. Problem with leds is getting them installed for the correct polarity. Had to take them out and flip everyone around since they didn't light when I put them in. With 50/50 odds you would think I would have had half light up. :???:

Ya I know I should do the tach by no idea what's in there.

This time when I did the dash lights I figured out the easier way to get to them. Remove the driver's side defroster hose and the voltage regulater on the left side of the instrument cluster. Doing this I had pretty good access to the lamps. Now I also don't have big hands.

Attachments

• Dash with white leds.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 344
-
Back