LED bulbs last ten years, yeah right

-

rklein383

Reaction score
My LED bulbs have been failing just as fast as incandescent. They are Walmart cheapies, maybe that is the problem. Anybody else having the same problem?

Well aware of it. No value in Great Value bulbs. I buy bulbs from the hardware stores, usually Sylvania. $9 for a 4 pack

My LED bulbs have been failing just as fast as incandescent. They are Walmart cheapies, maybe that is the problem. Anybody else having the same problem?
Same. I buy the cheap ones and they fail faster than they should. Keep the box and receipt. They have a 3 year warranty.

The first batch of CFL bulbs I bought- philips brand, had a failure rate of over 33% in less than 2 months.

I swore off that major name brand and went with upstart Feit. MUCH better.

I'm not real sure what brand LED bulbs I have but I think I've only lost one, and of course it's an oddball, expensive one with candelabra base and simulated filaments.

I've replaced more LED light bulbs in my current house in the last 5 years, than I did incandescent ones in my last house in the 12 years I lived there.

Buying better quality ones seems to be working better. But what I hate, is when I have 6 recessed lights and 1 burns out, good luck finding a new one that matches the color. Almost have to replace all of them so they match.

Assuming the discussion applies to household AC powered bulbs, I found that the King of QATAR mandated all LED lighting sold in his Kingdom last (if I recall) a minimum of like 25 years. He also decreed they be more efficient than the ones sold around the rest of the world. As of last time I checked, the Kingdom of QATAR is the only place on Earth where you can get GOOD LED lights!

The engineering punch line is that Phillips added more LEDs to the bulb to lower the voltage across each diode. End result is lower energy consumption and much longer life expectancy.

LED drivers fail. Only way to get any to last longer is to step up and buy the better name brands ) GE seem to have problems however) and it will only buy you a little more time.

Duke Energy sent me 20 LED bulbs shortly after I bought my current house 9 years ago. They weren't the "corkscrew" type of bulbs that had before, they are heavy, but normal looking bulbs. As bulbs went out, I replaced them with the freebies from Duke. So far, none of those bulbs Duke sent have gone bad.
I have no idea what the brand is, but I wouldn't want anyone to throw one at me. They're heavy, but they seem to last and the price is certainly right.

-
Back