LED headlights, rear lights, front parl lights and interior for 1964 plymouth Valiant

-
Having read all of Dans links and the lighting engineer referenced i'm pretty convinced H4 for headlamps is still the way

for anyone who wants H4 headlamps TUV EU approved

The made in India NEOLITE comes in square and the usual 7 and 5 and a bit inches round,

decent quality. have to be to pass the german TUV and EU type approval

Autopal india also do a huge range, certan models also TUV and E marked.

obviously not made in the USA but then again there is a chance that your USA branded and boxed pistons and valves were not either, india or mexico comes up on federal mogul and sealed power packaging more than USA

both brands sold by classic car aftermarket parts suppliers in europe to make older imported US Vehicles, legal, because the headlamps that they come with often fail to comply.. i.e you can't register your import for road use until the lighting is legal for use.
this could well be just the correct standards markings are missing on the lense i doubt the differences between TUV E and SAE or DOT standards are that different

both seems to be decent clones of what HELLA used to make and both do LHD and RHD lamps.

some of the range illustrated here

| eBay

other option is WIPAC which is a good old UK brand. been around since 1920 or something like that

A company that was part of BSA and made lamps and magnetos for british bikes and cars
and dynamos and lights for push bike
decent quality, British standard lamps, that are E marked. No idea where they are made these days

a favorite of UK mopar owners who swap out the sealed beams on their A B E body imports ASAP and swap in WIPAC H4 lamps for RHD use.

there are reasonably quality options out there for H4 conversions even if the brands you used to know are no longer making what you want.

all of these come in at a cost per pair that makes them viable even if you had to import. just make sure your get them for Left hand drive so the lense has the correct pattern

Indian RHD
UK RHD
Europe LHD like the US

Dave

Last edited:
Honestly the only headlights I would recommend are those that were examined for their technical performance by a non-interested person or team.
'Virgil' at Candlepower forums and Stern who posts in a number of forums are about the only people I am aware of who have access to that type of equipment or services, have actually used it to check bulb and beam pattern performance, and publicly discuss it.

of course I've bought my share of junk too - but eventually by paying attention to rally folks at the local SCCA meetings - I started doing things that actually worked (usualy).

Amongst the sealed beams I would look for older production in good condition, and then aim it properly!
If its not a points type restoration or similar, and driven at night, powering the lamps from the alternator using relays is the next recomendation.

But for new production, as Dan has already posted, the cheapest decently performing 7" round is the Hella "vision plus" with a good bulb.
For large rectangular lamps, he has some Bosch (or did) which in my subjective opinion I find as good or slightly better than the Cibies. Since no A-bodies came with those, seems pointless to discuss them further.

and if this point wasn't made enough yet.
Properly Aim the headlights!
This is a free performance upgrade.

A 1/4 turn on an adjuster screw can make noticible diffence.

and if this point wasn't made enough yet.
Properly Aim the headlights!
This is a free performance upgrade.

A 1/4 turn on an adjuster screw can make noticible diffence.
Totally agree. In my area, you can't believe how many vehicles need adjusting. I don't have a convenient place to do a aiming against a wall. I had called around (a few years ago), and not a single shop (that I could find) in my county had proper aiming equipment. I found a "hoppy" aimer at a swap meat and bought it. It just had a couple of the adapters. Just recently I received another "Hoppy" setup, with more adapters, from a member on this site, for just the cost of shipping. Thanks Jim (Killer6). Now I am able to do all my vehicles.

Even though I don't drive my car much at night, but I still ended up replacing my old headlights with the Holly Retro-bright's.

20230925_112744.jpg

I actually went with HELLA 7” round head light with the removable halogen bulbs like used on Volkswagens in the 70’s. Not as much draw as the factory light, but clear light and bright. H-3 or H-7 bulbs I believe.
LED headlights are obnoxious as an older driver. Honestly I drive a bunch at night and these light work well.
SN: my car has all new factory harnesses so no relays or corrosion issues yet.
I'm an older driver and we seniors find the younger drivers to be the most often ticketed, and obnoxious, just for your info. Bright lights are not a problem, unless they are aimed incorrectly, which seems to be a major problem with young guys in lifted trucks. Just saying..

Hello guys

So im ready to get into my light system

Ive been looking at a couple kits I have found on line. But i want to see what kits you guys have used ?

I want the head lights to look stock but be high level LEDs. Any suggestions ?

I found this kit. Anybody use it ?

View attachment 1716193443
For LED bulbs, the reflectors have to be designed for them. Stuffing LED bulbs into reflectors designed for standard bulbs moves the center of the light source. This creates excess glare for oncoming drivers. Cheap Chinese recycled Yak turds crap is the same. You want good LED head lights is going to cost.

-
Back