LED's?

-

thanson_mopar

Reaction score
im switching the bulbs in my duster to LEDS, anyone ever done this before? I have the right part number LEDs 1156 and 1157 just like the bulbs were. i took out all the blinker bulbs and the reverse light bulbs and....nothing. When i turn the left blinker on the front left led lights up and stays lit up but doesnt blink and the rear left blinker light doesnt even turn on. Same thing for the other side???

also when i turn the hazard lights on the front two blinkers blink like they should but the rear two dont do anything. whats the deal

i should mention that the blinkers/hazards worked fine before. I also took all the leds out and put the old bulbs in and they work fine again. what am i missing?

I have no idea...........But I'd like to hear the answer........I'd like to do this myself...........Hope someone chimes in.........:read2:

just from seing the front blinkers with leds on using the hazards i know im going to like it, looks twice as good/bright as the bulbs. they are supposed to last longer and not draw as much power. make it look a little more modern too

also check the bottom of the bulbs, I had the same problem. Some 1156 and 1157 have a single contact and some have a double. I never heard about the not enough power thing though, they are suppposed to take less power and make more light.

also check the bottom of the bulbs, I had the same problem. Some 1156 and 1157 have a single contact and some have a double. I never heard about the not enough power thing though, they are suppposed to take less power and make more light.

the 1156 is s single and the 1157 is a double.

Now i heard that with LEDs they only shine directly outward instead of incandescent lamps that shine in all directions. This is important because the light reflects off the inner housing of the tail lamps and turn lamps whereas a led doesn’t do that. That would make a lamp that is not as bright.. right?

Now i heard that with LEDs they only shine directly outward instead of incandescent lamps that shine in all directions. This is important because the light reflects off the inner housing of the tail lamps and turn lamps whereas a led doesn’t do that. That would make a lamp that is not as bright.. right?

yes but the bulbs wernt as bright, thes leds shine directly on the lens and make it twice as bright from the front and i stood at an angle from the light and it stilll looked just as bright

Some LED's I have laying around do have the LED bulbs facing out from the sides to help with the reflection in the light housing. They work and look good in my Ram but don't think they would be good in my car thou.

yea the 1156 is a single fillament and the 1157 is a double, I meant the contacts on the bottom of the bulb. I had the same problem as you. For some reason some bulb sockets use a 1156 or 1157 with a single contact on the bottom and some use a double. I don't know why, but I know chrysler uses a double, I had accidently got a single contact and it took me a minute to figure out what was wrong. I have them in my car and they are just as bright as the old style bulb from the side but much brighter in the front.

i see its for a 72 duster, is it just a stock part? donti already have one under the dash i think or what exactly is a solid state flasher?

It's not stock, it's an electronic replacement that doesn't rely on load to unevenly heat the bi-metallic strip in a standard style flasher which then bends, breaks the contact, cools then makes contact again, hence the flashing action. Not enough load means not enough heat to make these work properly.

yea the 1156 is a single fillament and the 1157 is a double, I meant the contacts on the bottom of the bulb. I had the same problem as you. For some reason some bulb sockets use a 1156 or 1157 with a single contact on the bottom and some use a double. I don't know why, but I know chrysler uses a double, I had accidently got a single contact and it took me a minute to figure out what was wrong. I have them in my car and they are just as bright as the old style bulb from the side but much brighter in the front.

As stated earlier an 1157 has 2 contacts on the bottom and and an 1156 has one contact by design. You show me different, I'll show you a manufacturing/labeling defect.

It's not stock, it's an electronic replacement that doesn't rely on load to unevenly heat the bi-metallic strip in a standard style flasher which then bends, breaks the contact, cools then makes contact again, hence the flashing action. Not enough load means not enough heat to make these work properly.

ok, ic, should i get the on you showed me or should i get the one on the ebay link (looks like its specificly for leds) or should it not make a difference

one more quesion, if there is not enough load to trigger them than how come my front ones blink with the hazzards on and the rear ones do not even light or does the hazzard work off a different flasher

When you are checking the rear LED's, are you checking them installed in the tailamp housing or with the LED dangling in the socket? Depending on the style and how many individual LEDs are on yours, makes a difference on how bright it is. Got some LEDs on my truck and the turn signals are fine (1156NA) but the stop/tail (1157) sucks. Barely able to see it in the day. So-so at night. Yours might be on but not noticeable.

When you are checking the rear LED's, are you checking them installed in the tailamp housing or with the LED dangling in the socket? Depending on the style and how many individual LEDs are on yours, makes a difference on how bright it is. Got some LEDs on my truck and the turn signals are fine (1156NA) but the stop/tail (1157) sucks. Barely able to see it in the day. So-so at night. Yours might be on but not noticeable.

i havent been able to see the rear LEDs on yet they wont do anything,(most likly because i need the electronic flasher) the only ones i saw were the ones in the front blinkers

ok, ic, should i get the on you showed me or should i get the one on the ebay link (looks like its specificly for leds) or should it not make a difference

one more quesion, if there is not enough load to trigger them than how come my front ones blink with the hazzards on and the rear ones do not even light or does the hazzard work off a different flasher
Not to sure on the rear lighting issues. Check them not installed in the taillamp assemblies. The emergency flashers will work most of the time because you now have 4 lamps or now LEDS that is putting the load on the flasher. More load than just the 2 when you hit the turn signal on.

one more quesion, if there is not enough load to trigger them than how come my front ones blink with the hazzards on and the rear ones do not even light or does the hazzard work off a different flasher[/quote]

Your hazards maybe on a separate flasher check a wiring diagram for your
vehicle.

My 68 Barracuda has separate ones.

All you need to do is go and get a electronic flasher from any discount auto parts store. The ones on ebay are the same thing, they just say led on then so they can charge more. I sell LED light kits for cars, you just need to make sure you get the brite LEDs. You also need to make sure yiu use red in the back, and amber in the front. I don't know why but red LEDs shine through tail lap lenses better than white LEDs. The 1157s I sell use 32 LEDs 24 strait back and 8 around the outside to light up the whole tail light.

Not to sure on the rear lighting issues. Check them not installed in the taillamp assemblies. The emergency flashers will work most of the time because you now have 4 lamps or now LEDS that is putting the load on the flasher. More load than just the 2 when you hit the turn signal on.

:) 'zactly!

All you need to do is go and get a electronic flasher from any discount auto parts store. The ones on ebay are the same thing, they just say led on then so they can charge more. I sell LED light kits for cars, you just need to make sure you get the brite LEDs. You also need to make sure yiu use red in the back, and amber in the front. I don't know why but red LEDs shine through tail lap lenses better than white LEDs. The 1157s I sell use 32 LEDs 24 strait back and 8 around the outside to light up the whole tail light.

Do you have a website? Any pics?

'zactly x2 :) Was out walkin' the dog. I have a little bit of a life, lol!

-
Back