LEDs?

-
This isnt a pissing match

IS TOO! :lol:

But your self righteous attitude, that I cant understand the law or regulations, is rather pissy.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but you have not yet shown any evidence of understanding the regulations you're talking about -- for that matter, you haven't even shown a clear or correct understanding of which regulations apply to your car. So…no self-righteousness or pissiness or attitude here, just a couple of facts: (1) You don't know as much as you think you do about this, and (2) I know more than you do about it.

a 1946 Hudson super six that in no way complies with any of those signaling regulations

Right...because those regulations didn't exist when that car was built. The regs did exist, however, when your A-body (along with every other car made after 1/1/68 ) was made, and so the grandfather clauses that apply to your '46 Hudson don't apply to your A-body. Here again, you are throwing around terms and assertions without understanding them.

I think that you perhaps need to understand that the people that frequent this site want to do things for themselves, and are very creative.

Oh, I do understand that. I think you need to understand that your cars' lighting system is a safety system, which needs to work in the prescribed manner to avoid endangering roadway safety. That's why the regulations exist -- not to clamp down on creativity or independence of spirit, but to save lives.

Look, ignorance is not a failing or a flaw or a shame; it's totally and easily curable. It's not reasonable to expect the average man in the street to know what the lighting regulations mean and how they apply; it's specialized knowledge. Those of us who cooperate to write them -- I am in that group -- spend a great deal of time and effort making them as unambiguous and clear as possible, but the nature of a highly technical, precisely regulated subject is that the regulations will be highly technical and precise. If you get the chance to learn from someone in a firsthand position to know what the regs say, why they say it, and what it all means, jump on it; open your (2) ears and (2) eyes, give your (1) mouth a rest, and learn.

The ugly shame is willful ignorance, in which the ignorant party refuses to learn and clings to incorrect, baseless beliefs.

clap2.gif

clap2.gif

I was wondering if anyone had tried to custom make LED replacements for some lights, like the reverse lights or brake lights. Reason I'm asking is because I'm contemplating doing it, seeing as my 63 Dart is missing the pigtails for the reverse lights, and they are seemingly impossible to find.

I ripped the remnants of the original bulb sockets out of my 67 model reverse lamp fixtures. I replaced them with those molded rubber sockets from sidemarker lamps that take a #158 or similar bulb. It's a 2 wire socket so you'll need to ground 1 wire.

Dan,
we have not finished with this yet:

"I'm sorry you feel that way, but you have not yet shown any evidence of understanding the regulations you're talking about -- for that matter, you haven't even shown a clear or correct understanding of which regulations apply to your car. So…no self-righteousness or pissiness or attitude here, just a couple of facts: (1) You don't know as much as you think you do about this, and (2) I know more than you do about it."

Perhaps you are missing the point I was making.
That point is: That I am only bound to comply with the regulations that were in effect when my car was manufactured. I am in no way required to bring my vehicle up to any current standards.

As far as my understanding of which regulations apply That is where I make A phone call and talk to someone who has actual authority in the United States and knows more than you about the LAW.
After speaking to an acquaintance in the NTSB, I was put in touch with the office of Chief Counsel of the NHTSA where I had a very pleasant conversation with their head attorney.
The consensus of opinion (yes there was a discussion by more than one) of the Office of Chief counsel of the NHTSA was That "I was only bound by the 1/1/68 title 49 statute and any addenda issued prior to or included in the 10/1/72 amendment to title 49."
So in this instance, I was right again, even with my small understanding of the law.

Now my next step, having been told where to find one, is to acquire a complete copy of 1968s title 49 sections 570,571,581, and all pertinent addenda up until 10/1/72.

As far as the LED front turn signals I will be using, They will meet the regs and will look very cool. I am smart enough to do the complex calcs needed to comply and I am willing to take the time to solve the problem rather than spouting Dogma and offering no solutions.

Dan,
If indeed you are an engineer, you could have said: in order to comply with your years regs the signals will have to ----
In stead you said no way, you cant, and you will never will be able to, and you are not smart enough to understand.

Even if I don't have the knowledge, I can make a single phone call and talk to someone who does.
One thing I have learned is never stop learning, and The more I know, The more I know I don't know.

More later
Andrew

I was wondering if anyone has seen the led 1157 bulbs on www.paddockparts.com? Are these bulbs an issue, as well?

They all are. It's a concept problem, not an implementation problem. Just like square wheels: it doesn't matter who makes them, or how they're made, or what they're made of, or where they're made, or how nifty they look, or how sexy the packaging they come in; they don't work effectively or safely because of what they are. See here and here and (more technical stuff) here. You might also want to look here.

Looks like you're workin' on a '63 Dart. Its big round taillamps mean it'd be easy and very effective to remove the reflectors (inside the trunk) and put these or these or these (red LEDs w/clear lens so you don't lose light output by putting it thru two red lenses -- nice price but no mount flange so you'll have to be creative in mounting them) in place of the reflectors. There are dozens of 4" round red brake/tail LED lamps on the market; these three are the most suitable for such a retrofit because of their diode count and photometric performance.

Sorry for beating that dead horse, lol, I think I will keep my bulbs stock. My thought was, that I would use less energy from the low 50 amp alternator that I have. And, I would have a set of bulbs that would last for a long time. I am happy I read the articles from slant6Dan, very talented guy, an asset to the forum for sure.

Well thanks to the "argument" over led's and bulbs I will keep what I have. I will do this so I won't be breaking any "engineering" rules and DOT codes. While the posters in this thread have valid reasons why we should not monkey around with our lighting systems without knowing the very technical aspects of doing so. I find it quite funny that while some are stout about automobile safety, Those same folks still drive the 40 plus year old car that by today's standards are death traps.

Sleep tight!
John B.

Dan,
Having called me a liar, and knowing nothing about who I am who I know or what circles I run in, yes the conversation is now officially over.
And just for the record since Canada is a place I will never drive in you do not have to worry about bumping in to me.
Andrew

I find it quite funny that while some are stout about automobile safety, Those same folks still drive the 40 plus year old car that by today's standards are death traps.

Yup, the old cars we play with are objectively unsafe; just take a look at [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siT-SIfOnQw]this[/ame] (we see the performance of the 1964 Mopar "improved" door latches) and [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVqxxIqu5TU]this[/ame] (the really telling views start at about 0:50). But whatever the basic safety level of a car, it's completely foolish to worsen it by reducing the safety performance of its lights and signals.

what is the synopsis without all the difficulties?

in other words, I go to the grocery store for ketchup, don't care if it is spelled catsup or another variation, I just want the flavor on my hot dog.

-
Back