Length of tranny cooler in a 26"OEM rad and

-

318MoparGuy

MoparHokie
Reaction score
where to put an external tranny cooler if you have an A/C condenser in front of the rad already? For non A/C cars,wouldn't putting a external cooler in front of the rad block air flow to the rad? Just wondering if OEM internal tranny coolers were all the same length or was length dictated by rad size? Car is a 73 Dart Swinger with a 84 318 and a lockup 904.
Thanks 318MG

..................put it in front of the rad........rad size does dictate the coler size for obvious reasons.........kim......

It won't block it, but the air going through the radiator in that area will be pre warmed.
It doesn't make as much difference as it seems it would, because the engine will run a little cooler if the trans is cooler.

old kimmer...thank you for your response. .I was asking about the size of the OEM internal tranny coolers (in rad). I have a 26" A/C car rad and wanted to see if anyone knew if OEM internal tranny coolers were different lengths according to rad size or that didn’t matter…it would seem to me that it would, but who knows what Ma Mopar did back then. I should have put my other question about the external cooler in another thread. Thanks 318MG

Thank you TB for your response. I was just concerned that putting a second object (ext. tranny cooler then condenser) in front of the rad would cause heating problems for rad...original 26" rad A/C car. It was just repaired (minor leak) and runs nice and cool (185F) as always. I may be moving next year over to the western part of NC (more mountains...long grades) and was wondering if the 26" internal tranny cooler was large enough to handle this extra load. Is it true that lockup 904's generate less heat then a non-lockup 904? Would a lockup 904 make that big a difference going up long grades to not need a ext. tranny cooler? But if needed, what tranny cooler do you like? Easy to install? Thanks to FABO'ers like you for taking the time to answer questions/concerns like mine and also sharing your knowledge and experience to make FABO the great site it is!!!!!! All the Best...318MG
It won't block it, but the air going through the radiator in that area will be pre warmed.
It doesn't make as much difference as it seems it would, because the engine will run a little cooler if the trans is cooler.

-
Back