Lets do a little bench racing...

-

XakEp

Reaction score
First off, you guys have an amazing site and alot of really REALLY good info. I'm going to be reading this place for a long time to come.

Anyhow, I've just gotten my 73 Duster back on the road. I'm curious what you all think it'll run with the 318 in it. Its got headers, 302 heads, XE262 cam, M1 manifold, 650 cfm 4bbl carb, Dana60 rear and dual exhaust. The ignition is an FBO "whole sha-bang" setup, and other than the vacuum advance being too much and I have to leave it disconnected for now.

Its got some nice fat wheels in the back and I've been driving it pretty hard and I'm loving it. I'm here in Denver, so the altitude is going to effect it, what times/HP output can I expect?

What do you have for a transmixer? auto/stick? high stall? Gear ratio? Can you post the specs on the cam? I dont have my Comp Cam Part Number Decoder Ring handy lol. Should run pretty good, though I have a feeling that intake may be a little much.

That dana is gonna eat up a fair amount of power before it gets to the ground. I'd say ~240rwhp take 10 or so....guesstimating

I'd say mid to high 14's but Goody's right we need more info to make a better guess. Need rear gear ratio too.

Rear gears are 3.23. The cam I'm not sure about, it was in the engine when I got it. I have no idea on a transmixer, so odds are its whatever was stock with this 727.

XakEp said:
Rear gears are 3.23. The cam I'm not sure about, it was in the engine when I got it. I have no idea on a transmixer, so odds are its whatever was stock with this 727.

Here is the link to your cam card. Make sure you bookmark this or something, likely you'll want it later.

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Search/CamDetails.asp?PartNumber=20-222-3

I'm gonna go with high 14s/low 15s. The cam/intake/gearing/converter combo doesn't sound like its going to work well together.

Occasionally I Take Mine To The Track(73 Duster). It Has A Internally Stock 318 With 80,000 Miles With New Comp Cams 260 Cam And Lifters/valvesprings. I Run A Edelbrock Performer Manifold With And Ede. 600 Cfm Carb. The Mopar Hp Dizzy Is Set To 34 Degress Total Advance.the Exhaust Is A 2.5" Magnaflow Dual Setup With Balancing Tube. My Trans Is A Rebuilt 904 With A Transgo Shift Kit. With My Small,but Well Maintained And Still Fully Functional 7.25 Rear With 2.76 Gears, I Still Run A Average Of 15.5-15.6 @88-90 Mph In California. This Is Perfect For Me, Since Its A Cruiser. Hope This Helps. Does Anyone Think These Are Good Numbers For The Combo As Well?

Sounds like decent times for the MPH. How are your 60s? I turned a 15.0 at 95 when I had 2.76s my first time out. Trapping in second gear is no fun lol.

Yeah, I Think If I Ran A High 15, Like A 15.8 Or 15.9, Especially With My Highway Gearing, I Would Be Happy. That Is Decently Quick For The 21 Year Olds Budget That I Have. Just Started Working At Arp In The Special Engineering Dept. Should Improve My Finances Soon.lol. Anyway, What Do You Mean By "how Are My 60s"?

MOPARJ said:
Yeah, I Think If I Ran A High 15, Like A 15.8 Or 15.9, Especially With My Highway Gearing, I Would Be Happy. That Is Decently Quick For The 21 Year Olds Budget That I Have. Just Started Working At Arp In The Special Engineering Dept. Should Improve My Finances Soon.lol. Anyway, What Do You Mean By "how Are My 60s"?

He means your 60 foot times.

I dunno, this car is a little weak in 1st and in 2nd and 3rd it just goes. I guess I'll see what it can do once the tracks open up.

I Dont Recall..i Will Have To Check My Timeslips.about Average For The E.t's If I Remember Right. Mine Pulls Strong On The Low End And Levels Off Near 4800 Rpm. Thats Fine, As I Have Built For Low End Torque For The Street. If You Have A Single Plane, You Will Build More Upper Rpm Power Usually, With Less Down Low. AT SEA LEVEL, I WOULD EXPECT A MID 14 OUT OF THAT COMBO.

MOPARJ said:
I Dont Recall..i Will Have To Check My Timeslips.about Average For The E.t's If I Remember Right. Mine Pulls Strong On The Low End And Levels Off Near 4800 Rpm. Thats Fine, As I Have Built For Low End Torque For The Street. If You Have A Single Plane, You Will Build More Upper Rpm Power Usually, With Less Down Low. AT SEA LEVEL, I WOULD EXPECT A MID 14 OUT OF THAT COMBO.

hope he'd do better than that. my hoopty 'corrected to sealevel' is a 13-flat. damn 5000+ft lol

X, the combination of your M1 intake and the 3.23 gears, along with probably a stock converter is what's killing it on the bottom end. As Goody mentioned, that's a lot of manifold for that particular combination.

The altitude is a big factor, 13 sec cars run 14's or worse up here. You need to run at least 10:1 static compression to run like a 9:1 engine at sea level. I am guessing 15.5's
With all this snow we are having, are you chaining up to drive around? I'm waiting till spring!!

I agree, the altitude will kill you for E.T. , Lucky to see 15.5's at best. We had a hard time hitting 15.9's here with similiar setup and 4,000 ft elev.

fwiw - comparison wise my 318 hit 14.0 in a 3600lb b'cuda with a 5,200ft density altitude. i know the altitude there sucks, plus d/a. but of course depending on the time of year its like 3k ft d/a there or so...but snow lol,

Anyway...
Car: 1972 Barracuda
Weight: 3,600lbs

Track Conditions (Elevation, Heat, Humidity, Density Altitude, etc, etc): 2,100ft track elevation. 5,200ft density altitude.

Slip

Reaction Time- .004 - Pro-Tree
60 foot- 1.9
330'-5.7
1/8th Mile- 8.9
MPH-75.7
1000'-11.7
1/4-14.0
MPH-95.3

Build - Engine

Cubic Inches: 323 (318 .030)
N/A, Forced Induction (Pounds), Nitrous (HP Shot): N/A
Cylinder Heads (Aluminum, Cast, Ported, etc): Stock port 2.02 J-heads
Compression Ratio: 9.7:1
Cam (Hyd/Solid/Roller - Specs): Hyd Comp Cam, .480lift/280duration
Intake Manifold: Performer RPM
Carb/E.F.I: 650cfm Thunder AVS - Edelbrock
Exhaust: Dynomax Headers - 3" Cutouts
Ignition: MSD 6A, Blaster Coil, Heli-core Wires

Transmission

Type: (904, 727, 4speed, etc): 904
Shift Kit: TransGo TF-2
Torque Converter (Brand/Stall/Size): 9 1/2" Dynamic. 3,500rpm Footbrake

Rear

Size (8 1/4, 8 3/4, Dana, etc): 8 3/4"
Gear Ratio: 3.91
Differential: Clutch Sure-Grip

Suspension/Tires

Spring Style (Cal-Traks, S/S, Stock): Super Stock
Shocks: Summit Adj Drag Shocks
Tire Size: 26x10x15 on 15x7 wheels
Tire Type (Radial, Drag Radial, Slick):Slick - ET Drag

High 15 -low 16s, I have been racing here since the late 70s. Don't think I have ever seen the density altitude as low as 5200 ft, most of the time its around 11000 ft on the mountain(bandimere). You need to get some more gear to get it moving up here. Dave

-
Back