Lets see those stick shift Magnum cars!

How many stick shift magnum cars are on FABO

• This many 5.9's

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • This many 5.2's

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
-
So a trigger wheel type deal. I’ve thought about calling in a favor to a machinist friend and having him cut slots in the hub of the crank pulley. Seems like some math could figure out size and spacing relative to the flexplate.

My original plan had been to cut slots in the pulley as well. In the end, I was worried about the scale of the slots, wasn't sure if the PCM used the leading and trailing edge of the slot for anything. As I remember, I scaled the slots in my ring to match so that (in theory) the PCM would see the same number of degrees between the leading and trailing edge. Seems like slots in the pulley itself would have been pretty small.

I went to the junk yard and found a motor on the ground and used that to get an idea of where the slot was in relation to TDC. I think the trailing edge of the slot was at 10 degrees ATDC, but I would have to dig out my notes to be sure. I had a friend that was doing a Magnum swap on a TJ so we mocked up the parts and welded the ring to the crank pulley using that relationship.

I have been looking for this specific pilot bushing for a long time no luck only one I could find is the roller bearing to the left

IMG_4893.jpeg

I want to see someone keep the Magnum EFI and swap a 4 speed. Parts are out there and I know of one person long ago that made it happen, but seems like everything else is carb'ed.
I still have the MP computer for my old '96 ram (5.2L, 5 speed) if anyone has a use for it...PM me

I just had an aluminum flywheel custom made for mine, with the trigger notches in it. That youpuber doing all the lathe work and crap to make it work...where's the follow-up 'it lives' video?
American powertrain used to offer steel flywheels with the notches. I don't think they offered them in a 5.9L balance, but most flywheel joints can do that. It is NOT the same balance factor as a 360. I had pics from when I swapped my 360 for the 5.9 (I used the MP flywheel) but they're gone now.
I looked at all the options, and front-pulley options were ok but you lose major precision when the diameter gets smaller. "Just sandwich the tone ring under the flywheel" doesn't work. There's an engine block in the way....

I just had an aluminum flywheel custom made for mine, with the trigger notches in it. That youpuber doing all the lathe work H

He did drive it later in the video, or maybe in a following video. So, I think it worked at least a little while.

American powertrain used to offer steel flywheels with the notches. I don't think they offered them in a 5.9L balance, but most flywheel joints can do that. It is NOT the same balance factor as a 360.

Funny. I went round and round with a guy from Modern Driveline about this. They show (showed?) a flywheel part number MD-LBS360LA-130T that the guy swore was right, but I was never really sure. They do show a flywheel for the 5.9 with notches though, but the balance listed doesn't match the 5.9 (I don't think).

And based on the picture, not really sure how they balance it. Doesn't look like there is much material left to remove to create the proper imbalance.

Found this:

@71dusterdan had some kind of issue with Modern Driveline but was able to source a flywheel from American Powertrain?

Good grief! Finally found what was tickling my brain.

My gut says that both Modern Driveline and American Powertrain are getting the flywheel from the same place. But just a guess.

Good grief! Finally found what was tickling my brain.

My gut says that both Modern Driveline and American Powertrain are getting the flywheel from the same place. But just a guess.
Science Friction if the paperwork on the wheel from 2020 is correct.

I almost bought one of those lightened steel wheels but I found a company that made mine in aluminum as a prototype. I had a magnum engine wheel with a removable ring, and they removed it and installed it on their aluminum wheel. I've yet to install it. Been saving for an aluminum pressure plate.

Science Friction if the paperwork on the wheel from 2020 is correct.

:rofl:

Took a minute to figure out what you meant, I though maybe you were making a joke or something. The paperwork says Science Friction. Got it!

I almost bought one of those lightened steel wheels but I found a company that made mine in aluminum as a prototype. I had a magnum engine wheel with a removable ring, and they removed it and installed it on their aluminum wheel.

I tripped over your post about that. Pretty cool.

:rofl:

Took a minute to figure out what you meant, I though maybe you were making a joke or something. The paperwork says Science Friction. Got it!

I tripped over your post about that. Pretty cool.

IMG_20230930_193426_01.jpg

IMG_20230930_193347.jpg

I bought it in 2016. Maybe someday I'll actually install it.

Who was the company that made that for you? And if you want to sell that one I’m a buyer.
I don't remember, it's been seven years!
That said, we can talk. Once you get the price, you may not want it. It wasn't cheap!

It is light though. If I hadda guess.... Seven or eight pounds

You mentioned Fidanza in this post.
Yeah it wasn't Fidanza. It was some smaller company I'd never heard of. I have the invoice somewhere. I'll do some digging. I sent them a 130 tooth wheel and said, 'clone this', and truck wheel and said 'use this tone ring', and it took them almost a year to get around to it, but it is trick.

And I'll probably end up not having enough flywheel and end up hating driving the car.

Who was the company that made that for you? And if you want to sell that one I’m a buyer.
I looked it up and called him. He said $800. That's his price, not mine. Yours would be cnc'd, mine he did by hand. He requested that I not release his name because he does pro race team stuff and doesn't want a reputation for doing "retail stuff" lol.
Still interested, pm me.

I looked it up and called him. He said $800. That's his price, not mine. Yours would be cnc'd, mine he did by hand. He requested that I not release his name because he does pro race team stuff and doesn't want a reputation for doing "retail stuff" lol.
Still interested, pm me.
Thank you for checking. I haven’t made a final decision yet but if I do I’ll be in touch with you.

-
Back