Lets talk clutches

-

lenky1

Reaction score
71 340 4speed duster. Im going to be ordering a new clutch. I have a hayes clutch and man does it kill my leg. Stiff is an understatement. What you all running or recommendations. Ty in advance

Do you have a borg and beck style in there now? If so, switching to a diaphragm style will help with the leg effort.

Last edited:
Looks like that may be a good choice for me also

If you are running a rag disc, take the pressure plate to a clutch shop and have them take ALL the roller assist out of it (if it has any) and make them drop the plate pressure to 2200-2400 pounds. Even if they have to remove 3 springs.

Then you can drive it without killing your leg. And it’s much cheaper and better than a birth control clutch.

Commence the hate…

mcloed sells a b&b clutch with long clutch fingers they work the best, way better than a b&b clutch, just food for thought

i checked mcloeds site, they list that clutch, it's 1800 base 10.5 dia. thing is, they are a very good clutch, i ran them for years in my race car, and put them in customers cars.

i checked mcloeds site, they list that clutch, it's 1800 base 10.5 dia. thing is, they are a very good clutch, i ran them for years in my race car, and put them in customers cars.
Is 1800 enough for a street 340 in a Barracuda? What rate is the sweet spot?

Last edited:
...........I have a hayes clutch and man does it kill my leg. Stiff is an understatement.
What Hayes pressure plate is it? A 3100#? I can't imagine a standard 11" scalloped or 10-1/2" with the OC spring assist that taxing on a leg. Have you checked your pedal to release bearing component condition?

mcloeds were at 2400 lbs had a friend with one, he installed my 1400 lbs in car , it ran two tenths quicker, did not slip 1800 lbs is about the minimum i would run, i used a 1400 lbs in my 340 duster, for years, it weighed 3370 just food for thought. does yours have c/w levers ? btw, his was a 360, dart, full dresser , ran 12.20 in quarter mile.

mcloeds were at 2400 lbs had a friend with one, he installed my 1400 lbs in car , it ran two tenths quicker, did not slip 1800 lbs is about the minimum i would run, i used a 1400 lbs in my 340 duster, for years, it weighed 3370 just food for thought. does yours have c/w levers ? btw, his was a 360, dart, full dresser , ran 12.20 in quarter mile.
I have a 10.95 Borg & Beck Long pressure plate with c/w levers, but have not run it yet. I was thinking a good 10.5 would be nicer, just not sure since I am used to Borg & Beck pressure plates. One 10.95 B & B with enough pressure to burst the Z-Bar tube on the 64 Barracuda. The new 10.5 Borg & Beck Long does not have c/w levers. What is your feeling about running the 1800 lb B&B Long on the street?

I have a 10.95 Borg & Beck Long pressure plate with c/w levers, but have not run it yet. I was thinking a good 10.5 would be nicer, just not sure since I am used to Borg & Beck pressure plates. One 10.95 B & B with enough pressure to burst the Z-Bar tube on the 64 Barracuda. The new 10.5 Borg & Beck Long does not have c/w levers. What is your feeling about running the 1800 lb B&B Long on the street?

With the right disc you can run about 1,000 on the street. Maybe a skosh less if you drive it right.

My last 3 pedal experience was about 15 years ago. I used a Mcleod Dual disk clutch. This was a GM so I don't even know if they make this for Mopar applications but the one thing always amazed me is how soft the Pedal was. I don't remember much more than that but it was a good piece. Not cheap, but was excellent for my application.

This is similar to what I used.

RST

JW

Along the lines of what Rat said
I just shimmed my centerforce, diaphragm PP off the flywheel with washers, until it slipped when I didn't want it to, then tightened it up a lil. On the street, I swapped out te CF-II disc cuz it was pretty harsh. But the stock pressure, PP just ripped the hubs out of the factory 340 discs. After this shimming, my 340 discs last much longer.
I don't like the flyweights but they do their jobs.
With a starter gear of 10.97, she's now practically a dump it and go deal.
Let the hate fly

I forgot they still made them. That’s what I use but mine is adjustable. I know McLeod doesn’t make those any more.

Ok so i finally went through all my paperwork and invoices. My uncle kept everything when he started ordering parts. I will attach pics of the parts and the invoice from 1997. This is what is currently in the car

Screenshot_20230529_182650_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230529_182723_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230529_182747_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230529_182806_Chrome.jpg

20230529_182825.jpg

my friend ran his 1800 lbs on street, mostly, raced it a few times is all. 3500 lbs car wgt. 2.47 first gear in trans, he had the 18 lbs steel flywheel from mcloed.

FWIW, per Jegs.........

1685451900282.png

Probably a little heavier than the "Light" description here.....
1685452019709.png

-
Back