Let's talk second hand camshafts.

-

frosty_the_punk

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have the opportunity to run a second hand solid flat tappet camshaft with correct lifters, numbered and packaged in order of prior fitment.

Some say "don't take the risk!"
others say "if it's in good condition, run it!"

What are your thoughts and experiences?

My thought is and has always been chunk the lifters, regardless. They are cheap. a long as the cam has a good wear pattern, run it. But run it with new lifters. Break it in just like you normally would and it will be fine.

The reason for my thought is, the "what if" factor is too great. I mean, "what if" two lifters got swapped? Even if you know they did not, new ones are cheap insurance. Just my 2 cents.

---------------On the other hand there's the cam that's in the Dart.

When I put a 340 in my old Landcruiser in about 76, I told a local grinder (no idea who he was) that I wanted a cam "about like" a 340 stick cam but solid lifter. Ran it in the 340 for several years,

then put a 318 short block under the 340 heads and intake with THAT CAM, transferring the lifters over hole - by - hole.

When I put the used 360 into the Dart, that cam......again.......made it's way into the 360, until the 360 developed a low end noise. This was a used running engine in unknown condition.

THEN I bought still yet another 318 used off CL which turned out to be VERY low miles, and PUT THAT CAM into that 318, where it sits RIGHT NOW. I just got done going for a Great Big milkshake earlier this evening.

So that's the FOURTH engine that cam has lived in since about 1976

LOL. That's a great story Del.

I've turned a used hydraulic cam into solid cam with old, used mechanical lifters from another cam.
As long as the lifters still have some 'crown' and aren't hollowed I wouldn't be that afraid to re-use them.

Prior installation I lubed the cam with regular cam assembly lube and ran the engine 1000-2000 rpm for a couple of minutes.
I used this cam for 3 years in a 500ci motor until I upgraded to a roller cam.

Better make sure you have good oil with enough zinc-components. So use an oil with an API rating of SJ or less.

In short, I did everything 'wrong' in this case but didn't have any problems.

YMMV ofcourse.

I've turned a used hydraulic cam into solid cam with old, used mechanical lifters from another cam.
As long as the lifters still have some 'crown' and aren't hollowed I wouldn't be that afraid to re-use them.

Prior installation I lubed the cam with regular cam assembly lube and ran the engine 1000-2000 rpm for a couple of minutes.
I used this cam for 3 years in a 500ci motor until I upgraded to a roller cam.

Better make sure you have good oil with enough zinc-components. So use an oil with an API rating of SJ or less.

In short, I did everything 'wrong' in this case but didn't have any problems.

YMMV ofcourse.

Just for S&Gs, what cam did you "turn into" a solid, and what kinda lash did you run?

Otherwise, wow

I've built a few engines using used cams and I never had a problem.

I guess my take would be this. If you had the cam since new and knew how it was used condition and such go for it. But if you are buying used I would say spend the few extra bucks and get a new set up.

Just for S&Gs, what cam did you "turn into" a solid, and what kinda lash did you run?

Otherwise, wow

Actual specs of the hydraulic are unknown to me since eh, I bought it used :)
I do know from the seller at the time the cam was supposed to be 1 or 2 steps above stock. Which could be correct because it was very tame.

As for lash I used almost zero. I recall something like 0.006" or thereabouts on a deadcold motor.
I've contacted CompCams about putting solid lifters on a hydr. cam and they mentioned to make sure the lash is very tight as to be right on the on-ramp of the lobe.
With aluminium heads on the motor the lash would grow anyway so I was good with that number.

I put a used high lift cam in my first SB with new lifters. I did the same thing with my first RB. I never had an issue with either engine. I bought a used cam with numbered lifters a long time ago for my current RB, but I still haven't convinced myself to run it yet.

Old School,

Was that you could use and old Camshaft, but the lifters had to retain there
same position order, otherwise you'd wipe the Lobes quickly.

But, that is not completely true, as many 'Backwood Dirt Racers' would switch and
swap out Valve-Train components, when they did not have access to a local
Parts Store or Performance Shop.

And those Engines would still scream around the 'Dirt Oval'.

The 'trick' was just lube the Camshaft and Lifters beyond belief, and at start up
keep the Engine at 1500 RPM's for 15 Minutes.

The old guys swore by 'STP'.

th
Old School,

Was that you could use and old Camshaft, but the lifters had to retain there
same position order, otherwise you'd wipe the Lobes quickly.

But, that is not completely true, as many 'Backwood Dirt Racers' would switch and
swap out Valve-Train components, when they did not have access to a local
Parts Store or Performance Shop.

And those Engines would still scream around the 'Dirt Oval'.

The 'trick' was just lube the Camshaft and Lifters beyond belief, and at start up
keep the Engine at 1500 RPM's for 15 Minutes.

The old guys swore by 'STP'.
I have a few sbc friends that change cams use used lifters on many different cams and and they don't have any problems or pre mature cam ware and they run the **** out of them. I do not practice this myself but have seen it done lots

I,d say depends on the cost of the build and how long a rebuild takes you. If you are spending over 5k building a stroker I wouldnt gamble to save 300. Or if a cam goes and bad it takes you 3 months to rebuild in your part time dont do it.If its a low buck build and you have a quick turnaround on a rebuild go for it. Me I always weigh the what ifs.

I,d say depends on the cost of the build and how long a rebuild takes you. If you are spending over 5k building a stroker I wouldnt gamble to save 300. Or if a cam goes and bad it takes you 3 months to rebuild in your part time dont do it.If its a low buck build and you have a quick turnaround on a rebuild go for it. Me I always weigh the what ifs.

Exactly what I was going to say. If its an engine you are willing to take a risk with, go for it.

-
Back