lifter noise

-

gunmetal72

Life is a dark ride
Reaction score
I know there is alot of smarter guys out there then me so I am hoping maybe someone can tell me why I keep getting lifter noise at start up. I put in a new set of comp lifters and cam (hydraulic). I soaked the new lifters for 24 hrs. before i installed them but I did not change the push rods or the rockers. I get noise from the lifters every time I fire the engine (340). The noise goes away after a few seconds but I don't think it should do that. Is there a lifter out there that will not do this or is there something I need to do different?

This rattling of the hydraulic lifters on startup is normal. Out of 16 lifters it's not uncommon to have 1 or 2 that leaks down over time then rattles on startup for a few seconds until it pumps up. The secret is that the rattling should go away within 10 seconds, IMO, after startup. Longer than that would indicate to me that you've got a lazy lifter in which case I'd find it and replace it.

Sounds about right for Canada, although I never really like the paraffin based oils.

You could try 20-50 but that may be too heavy for cold weather.

My brother in law lives in Brandon MB. He has had great results with Mobil1 0 W 40.

He has about 60k (kilometers) on a hydraulic cam in a 302 ford right now and it sounds like a swiss watch at idle. He swears by the stuff in the cold.

B.

I know there is alot of smarter guys out there then me so I am hoping maybe someone can tell me why I keep getting lifter noise at start up. I put in a new set of comp lifters and cam (hydraulic). I soaked the new lifters for 24 hrs. before i installed them but I did not change the push rods or the rockers. I get noise from the lifters every time I fire the engine (340). The noise goes away after a few seconds but I don't think it should do that. Is there a lifter out there that will not do this or is there something I need to do different?

What was the Comp Cams part number of the lifters that you installed?
For the 822-16 you should have .030-040" preload. If you have the 867-16 the preload is .002-.004" and will require adjustable valve train. You may find that your lifters will rattle on fire-up if you use the incorrect preload.

-
Back