Lifter Ticking

-

darc1722

Reaction score
I'm hearing a ticking from the 8 cylinder, is there a procdure on how to adjust the rocker arm? This is a standard 318 rocker with hydraulic lifters. Could the lifter be bad? Oil pressure is fine and idles nice but would like to get rid of tapping? Let me know thanks.

They are non adjustable from the factory. I would look for a stuck or bad lifter, worn cam lobe, bent pushrod, bad rocker arm or broken valve spring.

wen was the oil changed last.what oil are you running.if it a split wt.oil it mite not like it.put a can of STP or lucus in it and try it.............Artie

A ticking heard in the #8 area can be the heat riser in that exhaust manifold too.
Marvelous Mystery Oil can quieten a noisey hydrolic lifter.

All good advice here a usual :cheers:
My input to add to this is I would figure out what side it is on :-k
Remove the valve cover and make sure a push rod or spring is not damaged
Is it hitting on all 8 real good ?.

I am generally WAY against oil additives....BUT there's one I have found through the years that works and works good. It's called Sea Foam. I know, it sounds stupid as hell, but it works good. You might try some of that in the crankcase and see it it'll clean the lifter out.

Thinking about replacing all the lifters and having the pushrods checked. How would I tell if a cam lobe was damaged/worn. I put a vacuum gauge on and I'm at 20lbs. Also talked to the guy who built the engine a couple years ago and he said the heads were, 360 big valve heads #3769974 with adjustable rockers, there's only abot 1500 miles on the engine.

Thinking about replacing all the lifters and having the pushrods checked. How would I tell if a cam lobe was damaged/worn. I put a vacuum gauge on and I'm at 20lbs. Also talked to the guy who built the engine a couple years ago and he said the heads were, 360 big valve heads #3769974 with adjustable rockers, there's only abot 1500 miles on the engine.
pop a valve cover and you will know if it has adjustable valve gear. metal in the oil and popping out the exhaust could be signs of a wiped lobe. you should be able to spin the pushrods to tell if they are bent

Again, does it hit good on all 8?? , if it was, could be just needing the valve lash adjusted.

It sure seems to be hitting on all eight, running fine and reading 21 on Vacuum gauge. Here's a couple of pictures of the rocker arm, sure doesn't look adjustable to me. I'm ordering new lifters unless you guys see somrthing that I'm missing. Thanks

Attachments

• DSC05423-Optimized.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC05424-Optimized.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 191
None adjustable, Yep I would replace the hydrologic lifters, Looks nice and clean.
When buying a set of 16 there could always be a bad one in the bunch sometimes :-k
I soak new lifters for a day or 2 and manually pump them up
before I drop them in, but thats just me :D

None adjustable, Yep I would replace the hydrologic lifters, Looks nice and clean.
When buying a set of 16 there could always be a bad one in the bunch sometimes :-k
I soak new lifters for a day or 2 and manually pump them up
before I drop them in, but thats just me :D

i have always done this as well. recently, i was advised against it, and told to just install them dry with assembly lube on the face, so thats what i did just recently, and they pumped up right away. i honestly didnt notice any difference either way.
...and as a sidenote, i got 2 weak summit lifters the time before this, so i just replaced them all.

Is there a break in routine for new lifters? Anything special when I first start it up?

Remflex exhaust gaskets, very nice and purrs like a kitten (once I replace the lifters). No leaks here!

-
Back