lightening car

-
Geo, no not going spool, it still needs to be "streetable" and over the pond here, most of our roads are bendy. In fact they are all bendy lol
Good statement that is, going fast isn't cheap- doing it cheap is hard

This is one of the reasons I'm trying to go lighter, it's a inexpensive way (ish) to go faster, and to be honest buying a tubular front and plexiglass glass is still far far cheaper than doing another rebuild on the motor, or even a BB swap.
Mmm BB swap, now there's a thought lol

Plexiglas side and rear windows, aluminum heads on engine, aluminum intake, aluminum case for tranny (if a 4 speed). Aluminum radiator, aluminum master cylinder, and aluminum driveshaft. Headers are often lighter than cast iron manifolds.

I think there may even be a aluminum center section for the 8 3/4 rear available.

Fiberglass rear springs, use lighter mufflers and a shorter exhaust. The list goes on-and-on!#-o

Plexiglas side and rear windows, aluminum heads on engine, aluminum intake, aluminum case for tranny (if a 4 speed). Aluminum radiator, aluminum master cylinder, and aluminum driveshaft. Headers are often lighter than cast iron manifolds.

I think there may even be a aluminum center section for the 8 3/4 rear available.

Fiberglass rear springs, use lighter mufflers and a shorter exhaust. The list goes on-and-on!#-o

most of your list has been done, not sure about fibreglass springs though??? and what exactly is the centre section on the 8 3/4 you talk of?? its either diff, or axle casings on a 8 3/4.

and what exactly is the centre section on the 8 3/4 you talk of?? its either diff, or axle casings on a 8 3/4.

Mopar Performance made an aluminum center section years ago based on the 742 center; they pop up for sale every once and a while; Mickey Thompson also cast up magnesium center section way back in the day, very rare, also based on the 742 center.

Strange (and probably others) makes aluminum center sections for 9" Ford if that's an option. I don't know if anyone makes a Mopar aluminum center now, but changing to another make's rear may be a lightening option?

Strange (and probably others) makes aluminum center sections for 9" Ford if that's an option. I don't know if anyone makes a Mopar aluminum center now, but changing to another make's rear may be a lightening option?

Just put an aluminum center in my 8 3/4 on my Scamp a year or so ago. Got it from Mancini racing. Not Cheap.

Just remember one thing about the aluminum center you ring gear life will be shorter than with a iron one.

If you look inside the doors under the undercoating you will find a brace installed after 1970 I think. It is big heavy and is supposed to protect you from side impact. weighs a ton. remove it.

Why not just put a big engine in a tiny frame install a seat and do the damn thing; you can get way into ridiculous here.

try to use the shortest bolts possible everywhere. and where strenght is of no importance use the smallest bolts you can.

its not uncomon to find 5456465 layers of paint in enginecompartments,sand down and repaint with basecoat and one layer of paint.

no slipjoints on exhaust unless needed have it all welded togheter end to end.

anything that can be moved towards the rear of the car should be moved that dirrection unless you end up with excesive wiring lenghts to do so.

brackets holding various objects can be cut down and or be holesawed or drilled with extra holes to save weight.

keep all electric wiring as short as possible.

there is millions of places to cut out wheight or just avoid adding it in the first place,only your imagination sets the limits. it all adds up .

If you look inside the doors under the undercoating you will find a brace installed after 1970 I think. It is big heavy and is supposed to protect you from side impact. weighs a ton. remove it.

Side impact beams were not in the doors until 1974.........

-
Back