Lighting Upgrade

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm going to install a headlight relay system w/ Hella H-4's using 80/100w bulbs. I'm also considering upgrading the rear lights. As much as the `68 Barracuda's are the best looking A body's ever built ( :tongue: ) their taillights are a bit on the small side. (OK.... their almost non-exsistant!) and was wondering if anybody has installed, or know someone who has tried, those LED 1157 bulbs that are used on motorcycles and Rice Rockets. I'm not talking about the spinning, blinking ones..... just BRIGHT ones.

Also any thoughts on adding a third brake light that works in conjunction with the A body's single circut, dual use taillights? I'm talking about not having the brake lights feed back throught the directionals when stepping on the brake. The third light from a GMC Denali appears to be a cat's eye shape that might just tuck up into the upper rear window area on the fastback for a smooth, it belongs there look. I was thinking of running a second brake light switch, which suddenly turns this into another project. :-s

As always, thanks in advance :thumrigh:

I've got the H4 upgrade for my Duster thats going in when I put it back together. I've always wanted brighter lights for the older cars :D I was looking at the wiring diagram for a 69 Cuda and it seems like the only way to do a third brake light is to tap into one of the brake lights. The only problem with that is that light is going to blink with which ever side you tap into when you use your turn signal. Otherwise its project time with the second switch :(

Those 1157 leds are pretty cool. They make them with different amounts of leds so you need to make sure you get one that will fit thru the hole in the housing.

That's the problem with the brake light. If I wire in one side I get a blinker for a brake light when signalling. Looks like a second switch is going in.... :roll:

As for the LED lights, I noticed that some will fit throught the socket opening, some require the taillight seperate from the bulb holder. I might stop by at a "Rice-R-Us" type of place (disguised, of course...) and check out what's there.

Thanx for the input Craig! :thumrigh:

I think I can help if no one is able to by morning, and I can remember how. When I was in the Army I rigged the brake lights to come on when the pedal was pressed, on a Hummer a control box went out and we needed to drive it that day. The lights would come on with the running lights, but would not get brighter when the brakes were hit. I only used to wires bypassed the control box and took the signal from another area. I also used the copper wire from an fire extinguisher bridge a connection, because I found out if 2 different spot were touched along with another wire the lights would work. I have a 69 cuda tommorrow morning I will play around with the car to see if I can help out any. I like jimmy rigging stuff like that. There alot of rigged up vehicles in the Army right now, would not believe how well copper wiring that is used of keep pins in fire extinguishers work on different things, and no I was not a mechanic in the Army.

Okay time for some useless information. When I was in high school we figured out a way to listen to radio in my friends 69 Plymouth wagon without the key, he was in class and took the keys with him. If I remember right we would step on the brake, turn on the hazards, then pull the turn signal lever down and the radio would come on. Like I said, useless info :geek:

-
Back