Lightweight K-Frame and Steering

-

ReevesRacing

Reaction score

Hi guys!

I’m new to the A body scene. This seems to be a great forum to be a part of! Thank you!

I have purchased a 1974 Plymouth Duster Slant 6 car. My plans are to make it another street/striprod in my collection. It’s not in thebest of shape, but it does run great, and currently runs a 19.99 ¼ in stocktrim and a 19.68 with exhaust and breather off. LOL.

My first plan of attack is the front end. All of the ball joints and tie rods arecompletely shot. I don’t want to spendany money replacing any of this stuff. Instead, I want to put this money towards a new tubular front end withmanual rack and pinion steering. While I’mdoing this, I’d like to switch to lightweight disc brakes as well with big boltpattern.

I have been doing a little research, but it seems there isso much to choose from. I want the bestbang for my buck, and don’t want to cheap out too much. Main priorities are:

1 Strong enough forpot holes, rough roads, etc. It will seestreet use.

2 Super lightweight,this is almost my top priority, but it has to survive the street.

3 Lightweight manual rackand pinion steering

4 Lightweight brakes

5 Possibly drop stylespindles

Thanks guys for any help/advice you can give!

check out bill riely. RMS ALTERKATION set ups. best on the market and tried and true. shave 100lbs off the front of your car.

dropped spindles are going to be hard to find.
rack and pinion is going to be expensive and youll lose turning radius with little gains.
strong+light=$$$
brakes are doable, scarebird toyota conversion or wilwood

alterk8tion front end with rack option..you are already saving ~#100 with a slant, use the money to turbo it and have a fast light car?

1 Strong enough forpot holes, rough roads, etc.It will seestreet use.

2 Super lightweight,this is almost my top priority, but it has to survive the street.

3 Lightweight manual rack and pinion steering

4 Lightweight brakes

5 Possibly drop stylespindles

other then the drop spindles the alter-k is the way to go.. https://www.reillymotorsports.com/store/home.php?cat=264

you will save weight but "super light weight" not sure what you mean by that but any system you end up with can't be too flimsy if its going on the street..

When you order your brakes for that alterK you can order drilled and slotted rotors. That would save you a touch more.

Do the whole front clip. Call Art Morison or others and order the whole thing. if you are going to change the front end get rid of the stock frame rails. Heck if I was going to do it again I would have ordered a full frame specially if you plan to narrow the rear end or junk the floor.

If you want more info on a HDK, please send me an e-mail.

[email protected]

a few noteable benefits of the HDK

1) one K works for the three most popular Mopar powerplants...small blocks, B/RB big blocks and the new gen III Hemi motors. Just change out the HK / Schumacher poly spool motor mounts.

2) automotive tie rod end in lieu of a rod or heim end. This major benefit exclusive to the HDK allows maximum travel and lubrication. Also eliminates the harshness associated with the heim or rod end.

3) drops approx 30lbs. I am not sure where the 100lb savings come from (?). I personally weighed a factory K-frame with manual steering box including the entire steering linkage, torsion bars, shocks, and complete upper and lower control arms.....total weight 118lbs. I doubt that ANYONE'S replacement package comes in at only 18lbs. Perhaps a lightweight brake package is factored in, however that can be done without a rack and pinion / coil-over conversion.

4) narrow track width. The HDK allows for as little as 58" hub to hub, but is adjustable up to 61" if a wider stance is needed. This allows the front wheel /tire combo to sit into the fenderwell for a larger diameter tire with the fender dropping over them.

5) HDK-X offers double shear LCA pivot shaft /poly end connection for the hard core enthusiast.

6) intergrated LCA bump tops and adjustable UCA bump stops included

....you are already saving ~#100 with a slant

Saving 100 lbs?

Published weight of a "dressed" slant 6 = 475 lbs

Published weight of a "dressed" 318/340 = 525 lbs

Some published sources actually list them both at 525 lbs.

-
Back