Like to get some feed back on a Dodge Truck

-

downsr

Reaction score
Thinking of buying a 2000 dodge ram Laramie 5.9 gas engine 410 gears auto and overdrive. Need to upgrade from my 1500 for towing. Are these good trucks. Any info good or bad would be greatly appreciated

Pulled a 68 Charger from Denver to Seattle with our 5.9 Durango, 3.91 gears out back. I know it's not a pickup, but that thing was an unstoppable beast until my brother drove it into a ditch.

Have a 96 2500 regular cab 5.9 auto 2WD 4.10 I towed my 24' enclosed with, no issues.

Well if you are looking for issues.. Most dodge trucks have issues with transmissions, sooner or later. Also some I have seen suffer from rear end noise. But just make sure you check everything. I believe the 46RH or 46RE are the problematic transmissions. 46 RH being prior to 96 I believe and its non electronic.

I have two friends with 2..1 models with over 200.000 miles on them, great trucks

Had an 03 in the shop, torque convertor was bad. Not bad to replace, tranny guy says its common. Also something in the ecu goes bad and you lose lockup or overdrive.

Pulled a 68 Charger from Denver to Seattle with our 5.9 Durango, 3.91 gears out back. I know it's not a pickup, but that thing was an unstoppable beast until my brother drove it into a ditch.

if it was truly unstoppable, wouldn't it have come out the other side of the ditch ?

I like my '96 5.9 4x4 1500, has 267000 on it and runs good, passes smog great. Trans went out, fixed it... rear end went, got another out of the junk yard for 140.00...other than that, it's been a great truck for the last 10 yrs.
I've added a taylor tbi spacer , derrale deep tran pan & filter extension , dynomax ultraflo muffler , k&n fliter. Next will be the jegs y pipe and stock location ca/headers.

Last edited:
I bought a 94 2500. 5.9/manual long box standard cab. For somd reason i like it.
Runs decent/4.10’s

I have a 97 1500, 5.2 4x4. Had it several years now. Not too great on fuel, but a/c blows cold and easy to drive. The kid i got it from beat the snot out of it and I had to replace darn near everything mechanically. The plus side to that is its super reliable now.

I recommend to anyone upgrading the auto trans to put a 3.8 or 4.2 lever in it. They do not catch 2nd like they should ... that and the manual valve , billet servo etc...

Good truck but get a programmer. It also changes the trans shift points and helps prolong trans failure. That is the biggest problem with those trucks. The shift servos are set to conserve fuel with early shifts and slow down shifts.

The programmer acts like a part throttle kick down and the truck will hold the shift longer under a pull and also downshift with slight throttle pressure. Big difference.

My friend just installed one on his 02. I talked him into it and he is glad I did. There is so much you can do with it such as speedo calibration,Fuel ,and timing. Best bang for the buck with these trucks

Last edited:
Good truck but get a programmer. It also changes the trans shift points and helps prolong trans failure. That is the biggest problem with those trucks. The shift servos are set to conserve fuel with early shifts and slow down shifts.

The programmer acts like a part throttle kick down and the truck will hold the shift longer under a pull and also downshift with slight throttle pressure. Big difference.

My friend just installed one on his 02. I talked him into it and he is glad I did. There is so much you can do with it such as speedo calibration,Fuel ,and timing. Beat bang for the buck with these trucks
If you get a chance... post a link to the programmer, thanks.

I have a 2000 2500 Ram with a 5.9, 4.10 gears & AOD trans. I definitely gets the job done, but gas mileage sucks 11 unloaded, 7-9 loaded.

Too bad they say it won't work on a 96.
Reviews say it's best for diesel.
I have bully dogs in my Diesel's. My friend bought this one for his 360 gas. He is running a tank through so we can get the mileage. I will post it . His was 11mpg at best.

My one Diesel 05 single gets as high as 24 towing. My 05 dually 14-15 towing same drive lines the only difference is the fenders , extra wheels, and no cap.

When I fill the dually up the distance to empty is 380-400 The single is always 600 or better, both trucks are on performance chips. same gears both 6 spds. Go figure

-
Back