Little Brodix headed 360 dyno #'s

-

Brian Hafliger

Reaction score
A customer of mine found a local guy with a bunch of sb parts for sale cheap...BA heads, 360 short block we machined about 12 years ago, comp XR268HR cam, Crane hyd. roller lifters, airgap, 770 street avenger and hooker 1 3/4 headers.
I had to lower the compression by opening up the chambers, but other than that the heads were untouched from Brodix. Compression was 10:1. I had to really work at clearancing the heads for the pushrods though!!
Rockers were 1.6 ratio.

For comparison, our RHS headed 360 with a 275HL hyd. cam, same compression, same intake, 750DP, and TTI headers made 430HP and cost much less.

Attachments

• DSC00582.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 598
  • DSC00583.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 566
  • DSC00584.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 562
Graphs:

Attachments

• DSC00585.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 533
  • DSC00586.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 532
  • DSC00587.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 539
  • DSC00588.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 530
At first glance the numbers really don't leap out at you as something special, but that cam is really mild on the duration side. I expect it would have great street manners and with 400+ hp/tq to boot. Well done:thumrigh:.

So Brian doesn't have to toot his own horn, he is no slouch at building engines. An unport BA head wouldn't be able to keep up with a pair of his worked RHS X heads.

We made 462 HP with our RHS X heads on a 292ci 273, so 530 HP with a 360 should be easy for him.

So Brian doesn't have to toot his own horn, he is no slouch at building engines. An unport BA head wouldn't be able to keep up with a pair of his worked RHS X heads.

We made 462 HP with our RHS X heads on a 292ci 273, so 530 HP with a 360 should be easy for him.

Sorry guys, it was 430HP. It was just a street 360 with KB pistons and our prepped RHS heads. I was comparing the 2 builds because they used similar parts except the heads and ofcourse the Brodix heads and rockers are very expensive compared to the RHS setup.

Having said that, the RHS heads when ported will support some pretty decent power. I'm hoping to do a solid roller bracket engine with them soon to see just how much power they can support with reasonable work done.
Unfortunately alot of my engine builds are not for max power, more for drivability + power and that means compromises.
There is a guy in MS doing sand drags with our RHS heads making 560HP with no porting on a 408 with a solid FT cam and 12.7:1.

Nothing like good cyl heads,and a matched combo. Not knocking Brodix. A friend was cheap,bought the bare Track 1 Chev castings,a few years ago.OOTB,eennghh. $1200,of porting and nice valve job later,useable heads. You get ,what you pay for......

Nothing like good cyl heads,and a matched combo. Not knocking Brodix. A friend was cheap,bought the bare Track 1 Chev castings,a few years ago.OOTB,eennghh. $1200,of porting and nice valve job later,useable heads. You get ,what you pay for......

Funny you said that "bomber". Friend of mine a while back was running a pair of mildly worked Dart irons on his street SBC. Was a low 12sec. car at the time and he bought a set of Brodix alum's and actually slowed down. That was in Maryland and shortly after that i moved to Fla. Not sure what transpired after that, but i did see on the local track website that he was running 11 oh's several years later? What engine/heads....idk.

Rick,squaring ports,making blemish castings even.The last thing ,a good head porter/engine builder wants to deal with. My guy,I worked for usually sighed/still sighs. He chose RHS castings,for the last LA.Says enough to me.

That's almost an emissions cam for those heads... I'd be curious to see what an additional 15°/13° at .050, a slower ramp speed, and half a point of compression more would do for that build. IMO by hobbling the package with that camshaft (and yes, I know, it was just part of what you had) it makes it a rather poor comparison between the RHS package and this one. They made the same power with a roughly 9% less intake lobe. I don't know of any heads, RHS included, that don't require machine work to perform as advertised. While they are closer to the high end side of the cash spectrum - match the parts and you'll have much more value for the dollars spent with the Brodix.

Still,a cheap cheap customer,polishing a turd .No offense,in any way Moper.

That's almost an emissions cam for those heads... I'd be curious to see what an additional 15°/13° at .050, a slower ramp speed, and half a point of compression more would do for that build. IMO by hobbling the package with that camshaft (and yes, I know, it was just part of what you had) it makes it a rather poor comparison between the RHS package and this one. They made the same power with a roughly 9% less intake lobe. I don't know of any heads, RHS included, that don't require machine work to perform as advertised. While they are closer to the high end side of the cash spectrum - match the parts and you'll have much more value for the dollars spent with the Brodix.

I had really almost nothing to do with the parts picked. He brought me everything and said make it work. He actually had a crane 230-236@ .050 hyd. roller cam that I tried to get him to use but to no avail.
With more cam and compression, the RHS headed build would still be ahead of the brodix build.

-
Back