Lockup 904

-

ed1946

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is it true I can put a lockup converter 904 behind my 5.9 magnum. If so, what converter would work.

I had Rich from Winners Choice Transmission Parts build a torque converter for me. Give them a call 800-374-3436 and get his opinion.

You would need a neutral balanced lockup converter.
You will need to elongate 1 of the mounting holes on the magnum flex plate, does not matter which one, for the converter to bolt up.

Its not just the convertor. Transmission has a different valve body and it has ports to pressurize the clutch in the convertor. No, you cant modify a non lockup to be a lockup.
Those transmissions are a dime a dozen. Maybe a quarter.

How about a brand new 904
How about a new one? A 904 lock up trans has to be just that. They came out in late 80's Mopars like Chrysler 5th. Avenues and Dodge Diplomats. (M Bodies)

I had Rich from Winners Choice Transmission Parts build a torque converter for me. Give them a call 800-374-3436 and get his opinion.
I called, they no longer do torque converters. Another question, what does neutral balanced mean, no weights?

Last edited:
Is a loc-up necessary? at 65mph one might be good for 100rpm, maybe a bit more, or less, depending on how hard the engine has to work to propel the chassis/bodystyle. Occasionally, with a particular combo, a car might get worse fuel-economy at the lower rpm.
And then there is the cost of the swap versus the fuel-dollars saved and how many miles to break-even.
And finally, how much power can the loc-up handle.

Is a loc-up necessary? at 65mph one might be good for 100rpm, maybe a bit more, or less, depending on how hard the engine has to work to propel the chassis/bodystyle. Occasionally, with a particular combo, a car might get worse fuel-economy at the lower rpm.
And then there is the cost of the swap versus the fuel-dollars saved and how many miles to break-even.
And finally, how much power can the loc-up handle.
Went with a regular 904.

I went with a 999 lockup in my 67 coupe. I calculated 70 MPH @ 2400 RPM with my 3.73:1 gears and my tires and GV overdrive. I didn't want to give up the converter slip and my theory worked.
Not large on black stripe burnouts but from 5 MPH hold on to your coffee cup and be ready to shift very quickly!

-
Back