Lokar cable setup

-

Duster_71

Reaction score
Hello all, those of you running the lokar setup. Does the bracket srk-4000 seem strong enough to hold up over time and do you have problems with it moving? Additionally, how well do the cables take cutting to length (i.e. fraying)? I hear people talk about the cheaper cables having problems with fraying after trimming to length.

the bracket is plenty strong enough - installed properly, it'll stay put.. any cable will fray if not use/installed correctly. I used Lokar for my throttle cable and bought their E-brake set up, both had to be cut to length - no issues with them.

Hello all, those of you running the lokar setup. Does the bracket srk-4000 seem strong enough to hold up over time and do you have problems with it moving? Additionally, how well do the cables take cutting to length (i.e. fraying)? I hear people talk about the cheaper cables having problems with fraying after trimming to length.

When we have used the Lokar cables, we never really had any problems. It is so very important
to read their instructions carefully. Do not use any kind of sidecutters, or the like, as it will make the cable unravel. I have used a small cutoff wheel on a dremel, and cut the cable to length cutting slow so it does not unravel. It also can help to wrap the cable to be cut, with masking tape, keeping it together. I also like to grind any small cutting burrs off at a little angle, as when finished, you will need to install it into the braided housing from one end. Hope this helps you.

Buy the black cables they're way easier to cut and don't fray. Lokar sells black ones and stainless steel ones.

Are you using it for throttle or both throttle and kickdown?

I put some electrical tape on the cable and use the dremal with a cutting wheel to get a clean cut, and a little tip once the cable has been trimmed I use some heat shrink on the ends to prevent fraying ! looks neat.

As long as the cable is cut and adjusted properly the bracket is plenty strong.

I just use a sharp pair of dykes to cut them and have never had a problem.

I also do the heat shrink on the end to keep it from fraying.

20170409_132421.jpg

All,

I'm still having issues getting a "full pull" on the throttle. Any tips or tricks? I have placed a shim under the gas pedal bracket to help some but that's not going to get it done.

Thanks,
Marion

I guess I was more concerned about the ss cover fraying and start to look like doo doo. I went to a car show last night and it turns out that the polar setup is quite popular and the bracket does look like it will stand the test of time.

Buy the black cables they're way easier to cut and don't fray. Lokar sells black ones and stainless steel ones.

Are you using it for throttle or both throttle and kickdown?
I would be looking at both.

I would be looking at both.
They sell a combo kit.
I bought the kickdown years ago and throttle here recently. Happy with the setup, though the kickdown adjustment takes some trial and error. Don't trim the kickdown cable until you get it just right.
If you have trouble with adjustment, try to find a lever for the trans where the travel matches the throttle, or you can drill another hole in the one you have. I also added a return spring on the transmission.

All,

I'm still having issues getting a "full pull" on the throttle. Any tips or tricks? I have placed a shim under the gas pedal bracket to help some but that's not going to get it done.

Thanks,
Marion

have the cable hooked to the proper hole in the carb linkage? the cable cut to proper length? have any pictures of what you have?

what carb are you using? i've never had an issue getting full throttle with a holley. hell i usually have to loosen up the adjustment because its pulling too much..lol

They sell a combo kit.
I bought the kickdown years ago and throttle here recently. Happy with the setup, though the kickdown adjustment takes some trial and error. Don't trim the kickdown cable until you get it just right.
If you have trouble with adjustment, try to find a lever for the trans where the travel matches the throttle, or you can drill another hole in the one you have. I also added a return spring on the transmission.
knuckeDuster, Do you happen to have a pic of that return spring on the transmission?

Sorry I don't, it's just a typical throttle spring running from the lever forward to a bolt in that boss that sticks out by the bell housing.

-
Back