long post about new gas tank

-

famous bob

mopar misfit
Reaction score
put a new gas tank-lines-return lines for fuel inj. new dual feeds out the back bottom of tank, fuel pump is very low on rear of car. put gas in it for the first time yesterday(4 yr. build) filled up and topped off at 7 gallons, think it`s an 18 gal. tank. no internal baffels, vent hooked up to top of filler tube(stock location), everything new or cleaned-not stopped up. thot the nose down attitude might have it air locked, jacked the front up level, gas did not go down in filler tube. went to eat about 2.30, came back in the garage-gas was running over, down the fender. 'HEAT EXPANSION" dam cheap 91 octane alcohol ate the single stage paint off the fender. siphoned about 1 1/2 gall. out to stop it. I remember back when I bought a new 68 barracuda when I was kid(first new car) it had some fuel filling issues, but not like this. what`s it going to take to make this thing work right? thinking maybe a vent added to top side area of the tank to let air out, hooked back into the stock vent tube that is behind the flip top cap, and drilling the top of cap w/ a small air bleed. any body out there got any ideas, of ben thru this, and how did you solve it?
I`m really pissded about this! tanks for any ideas or help-----bob:banghead::banghead::banghead:

did you get this figured out yet? it sounds like your suggestions for a fix are correct to me but i was wondering because i'm getting close to this point, and want to know the right way to do it.

did you get this figured out yet? it sounds like your suggestions for a fix are correct to me but i was wondering because i'm getting close to this point, and want to know the right way to do it.
:pale: came up w/ a fitting called a double treaded 1/2" bulk head fitting. trouble is, the best place to put it is mostly up under the back seat area. that area, and likely would have to come thru thefloor. mine is all installed and not easily removeable, as I have no back seat and a finished interior. still out to lunch on this one. if you come up w/ something, let me know. if your back seat isn`t installed yet, now would be the time to do it if doing it that way. ------bob

Do you not have a vent tube that dumps under the car ?
I think you simply overfilled it. Not hard to do when pouring slowly from a can. A fuel pump nozzle would kick off.
Either way, the overflow was supposed to dump underneath and not at the fuel door.

-
Back