Long ram intake manifold craigslist find

-
I wanted a pair that was for sale but knew I was never going to get them when i asked for a price and never got a response from the person standing right in front of me. Cool but man are they pricey.

Find? Mebee not, LOL. "A find" is when you "find" something at an incredible price. Incredibly LOW that is.

buddy picked up a set at Carlisle last year with carbs and aircleaners for 900. I see them on the west coast swap meets - for the manifolds and linkage for about the 8-900. He is in love with them it seems - to each is own.

I wanted a pair that was for sale but knew I was never going to get them when i asked for a price and never got a response from the person standing right in front of me. Cool but man are they pricey.

I would love to own one too, coolest looking intake ever!

Find? Mebee not, LOL. "A find" is when you "find" something at an incredible price. Incredibly LOW that is.

Quick! Call up Webster, this needs to be in a dictionary! This guy thinks he knows a word better than someone else! Find is when you find something "LOL"

buddy picked up a set at Carlisle last year with carbs and aircleaners for 900. I see them on the west coast swap meets - for the manifolds and linkage for about the 8-900. He is in love with them it seems - to each is own.

I love the way they look, and I'm sure they perform well too.

Those are tuned to make max torque at what RPM? Looks like something in the 2000-3000 range.

Those are tuned to make max torque at what RPM? Looks like something in the 2000-3000 range.

There were two different lengths. The long ones peaked torque at 2500, the short ones peaked at 3500...

I saw these on craigslist months ago. I think he is having trouble getting his price. Make him a lowball offer and see if he bites.

I saw these on craigslist months ago. I think he is having trouble getting his price. Make him a lowball offer and see if he bites.

I don't know what these intakes are worth I never looked into them aside from seeing them in pictures. First time I've ever seen them in my local Craig's, and they looked cool. So I figured I would throw the link in to see what you guys had to say about them.

Someday. Someday I'll own a 383 or 413 powered A or B body with a set of long ram intakes...

Someday. Someday I'll own a 383 or 413 powered A or B body with a set of long ram intakes...

No you won't.
You won't have anything left of inner fenders once you get cutting the sheet metal for those intake tubes to fit in an A body engine compartment.

They are hard enough to even work in a B body car, other than what they were originally designed for.

No you won't.
You won't have anything left of inner fenders once you get cutting the sheet metal for those intake tubes to fit in an A body engine compartment.

They are hard enough to even work in a B body car, other than what they were originally designed for.

It's been done before and by a member here, had to notch each inner fender a little and that was it....real clean install.

I don't know how you guys tell they are "long" or "short" without another pair for comparison, LOL

It's been done before and by a member here, had to notch each inner fender a little and that was it....real clean install.

A Little???
You better post a picture of that A body engine compartment for me to see what that looks like.

Take a look at the pics in the Sacramento Craigslist ad.

The Long rams were used from '59 - '62. They can be distinguished by the tube divider line running the length of the siamesed tubes from the carb plenum to the head mounting surface. (Look at the unpainted set of tubes in the ad photos.) These earlier versions used a log type exhaust manifold with a single exhaust heat riser tube on each side from the manifold to the bottom of the carb plenum to keep the fuel atomized in cooler temps.

The turquiose painted rams are the Short version, used only in '63-'64, paired with the cast iron headers shown just above them. Notice the tube divider line only runs from the head mounting surface to about the mid point of the the length of the runners. The reason was to effectively increase the carb plenum volume in order to raise the torque peak higher up the RPM's. This version also used two heat tubes on each side, the forward, shorter tube is to feed the exhaust heat under the floor of the plenum, and the second, longer, aft tube is to evacuate the exhaust.

Exhaust corrosion and burn through the bottom of the carb plenum and thermostat well was a common problem with these intakes. The heat riser tubes also served a secondary purpose of supporting the cantilevered weight of the intake and carb. Note also there is a balance tube connecting the l/h and r/h plenums. That the thermostat wells exist on these intakes is kinda of odd, as this set-up only was ever equipped with a dual cable manual choke.

Incidentally, their use was not only on the 413. They were available in Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto also. And were available as a package on every displacement starting with the 361.

While these engines were absolute torque monsters, they petered out at pretty low RPMs with these intakes. The later, Short version would run to higher HP levels at higher revs with slightly diminished torque. But they were designed to move heavy weight luxury cars down the turnpike at high speeds.

Many years ago, I purchased an original ram powered '64 300K letter car coupe. I had it stored behind my rental house in KY. I had taken a job out of state and was commuting on a weekly basis. About a year into the job, I needed to relocate permanently. Toward the end of the move, I came home one time and the car was missing. For reasons unknown today, I had stored the bumpers, intakes and exhaust manifolds in the basement. Unfortunately, all the rest of the piece parts, carbs, linkage, air hats, etc, were still in the trunk. I reported it to the pokice and spent days canvassing every scrap yard in 30 miles. The car never surfaced again. I can only figure scrappers or racers took it.

(On a funny note, a young friend of mine was using a '62 or '63 Imperial as a daily driver. He must have been stopped at least two dozen times because of the stolen car report! LOL)

Fortunately, if you have the intakes and exhaust, nearly everything else except the air hats are reproduced... Not cheap, but available. My set WILL end up installed in my '64 300 'vert. I've owned it for 37-38 years, and am slowly putting it back together 35-36 years AFTER I took it apart.

Mike in FL

75slant6,

Hard to tell with the reflections in that pic, but my gut feeling is those are the later short ram intakes.

Mike in FL

There's a t-bucket roadster that I've seen at a couple of local SoCal shows that runs the long-ram intake setup. Looks wild with the carbs way out of the engine compartment.
I had to laugh the last time I saw it at a show because there were a couple of guys in their late 50s looking at it and had no clue what it was or what it was from. They didn't believe me when I told them it was a stock Mopar intake setup. I should have looked closer to see if they were both wearing bowties on their t-shirts!

Thanks for the info. Now if I can just remember the "short rib" LOL

75slant6,

Hard to tell with the reflections in that pic, but my gut feeling is those are the later short ram intakes.

Mike in FL

The intakes in the picture are 'long ram"

And by the way, i guess somebody get those into an A body car.
I will admit that is a clean installation.
I will have to save that picture in the computers picture files.

-
Back