Long tailshaft 727?

-

Rob

Reaction score
I'm gearing up to finally do the 360/727 swap into my 70 Duster /6 904. The trans I have is the long 727, is there any issues with using this trans? other than the driveshaft length

It is longer than your 904 was by about 3" so yes the driveshaft will need to be shorter and the output yoke is bigger on a 727. In other words you'll need a driveshaft/yoke assy. from a Duster (or another A-body with the same wheel base as a duster) with a 727. The long tail shaft 727 is the standard car and light duty truck style. The only short tail shaft versions are the ones used on 4x4's, HD trucks, and motor homes.

A motorhome 727 will use the same length driveshaft as a 904? Adapter U-joints? If true that makes the motorhome 440/727 a guy is offering to sell me attractive for the next powerplant for the Demon I am getting. That way I can put in my SB/904 for now while I get used to the car and build a big block.

Thanks, I was wondering about the yoke assembly. I'm also swapping out the rearend for an 8 3/4. I didn't know the long shaft 727 was for cars, thought it was the other way around. I don't know if I can find the right driveshaft but getting the one I have shortened isn't a problem. Not sure about the yoke assembly though, can that be swapped out too or is it too big to fit into the current driveshaft?

Thanks, I was wondering about the yoke assembly. I'm also swapping out the rearend for an 8 3/4. I didn't know the long shaft 727 was for cars, thought it was the other way around. I don't know if I can find the right driveshaft but getting the one I have shortened isn't a problem. Not sure about the yoke assembly though, can that be swapped out too or is it too big to fit into the current driveshaft?

Finding a driveshaft for your car shouldn't be any problem as they used 727's in A-bodies. But if you don't find one getting your shortened is a good option. In fact it might be the best way to go cause so many older/used driveshaft assy's can be out of balance. The yoke will directly interchange as long as the U-joint size is the same. I believe all A-bodies used the 7260 U-joint which is super common. Even if one end is the larger 7290 U-joint you can easily connect them with a conversion U-joint (7260 one direction and 7290 the other).

Finding a driveshaft for your car shouldn't be any problem as they used 727's in A-bodies. But if you don't find one getting your shortened is a good option. In fact it might be the best way to go cause so many older/used driveshaft assy's can be out of balance. The yoke will directly interchange as long as the U-joint size is the same. I believe all A-bodies used the 7260 U-joint which is super common. Even if one end is the larger 7290 U-joint you can easily connect them with a conversion U-joint (7260 one direction and 7290 the other).

That's great information! Thanks a ton :thumbup:

A motorhome 727 will use the same length driveshaft as a 904? Adapter U-joints? If true that makes the motorhome 440/727 a guy is offering to sell me attractive for the next powerplant for the Demon I am getting. That way I can put in my SB/904 for now while I get used to the car and build a big block.

You need to start your own thread with your problem because it gets confusing to try to answer multiple questions in one thread. And a lot of guys get mad because your thread jacking when you post your question in their thread.

But to answer your question, No, they are not the same length. And the vast majority of motor homes don't use a slip yoke like a car. They generally use a 2 piece driveshaft with a slip yoke in the middle. I've heard you can use some sort of an adapter but I don't know what it is.

-
Back