Long term car storage.

-

Caddguy

Reaction score
Hi all, Boeing is sending me to Australia for at least a year but most likely two years and I need to find a place to store my '74 Swinger and 2011 Chrysler 200 conv. A buddy of mine at work said I could store both of them in his barn for $150 a month but then backed today saying he was not able to due to flooding and very soft ground. I have looked online for long term storage but most places here want $200 per auto and that is outside storage which in my mind is a buffet for parts thieves. Has anyone had to store their cars for a long period of time and if you did where and how did it work out? I live in Woodinville, WA so any place around Seattle is good. Another thing is the Dart is not running so I will need to tow it. Thanks, Edward

Hi all, Boeing is sending me to Australia for at least a year but most likely two years and I need to find a place to store my '74 Swinger and 2011 Chrysler 200 conv. A buddy of mine at work said I could store both of them in his barn for $150 a month but then backed today saying he was not able to due to flooding and very soft ground. I have looked online for long term storage but most places here want $200 per auto and that is outside storage which in my mind is a buffet for parts thieves. Has anyone had to store their cars for a long period of time and if you did where and how did it work out? I live in Woodinville, WA so any place around Seattle is good. Another thing is the Dart is not running so I will need to tow it. Thanks, Edward

Does your buddy have any high ground? Maybe get a 40' shipping container and use it if he will agree. With luck you might be able to work out a deal where he will want the container in the end.

Some people store them in storage units. I don't know about prices there, but around here you can get one big enough for a car for around 80 bucks a month.

You may have to drain oil and gas to do so though in that situation.

Bad Sport is right the storge units are here are about 80 bucks for some thing that will hold a car and he is right i would get rid of the gas not sure about the oil i have never done that.

I only mentioned it because they "might" have their own regulations as to what can stay or not. I'm sure one could differ from another.

A couple other things to consider would be:

1. Getting a unit in a locked facility so there is only daytime access to it.

2. They make bags to put cars in for long term storage that come with silica packs to help ward off moisture. You lay the bag out and push the car in, throw the pack under it and seal it up. It also helps keep mice out too.

Hey Caddguy - I can't help you with your non-running Dart but I'll be happy to store your Chrysler 200 convertible free of charge here in SoCal for you! Oh yeah, an added benefit is I'll regularly exercise it to keep all the fluids circulated and keep the convertible top mechanism moving. After all, how often can you put the top down in Seattle and not risk a rain-damaged interior?
And don't worry, I'll let you know when/if the tires need replacing. In fact, I won't even charge you for waxing it and keeping it nice and shiny.
Let me know when I can expect delivery.
LOL

i had my dart stored in a storage unit for nearly 2 yrs. it was in a heated unit in the tacoma, wa area. i paid 160 a month for a 10x20. i would buy a few of those damp rid tubs and put them in the car.

Thanks for the advice guys...I was looking online for storage places and all of those were wanting $200+/mo to store each car. I have started looking on CL and there are a lot of RV/Boat/Car storage places around here that I can keep them for half the price per month. Special thanks Ocdart for the kind offer of keeping my Conv free of charge while I am gone but I feel it might be a burden on you having to keep the top up all the time so the seats do not get sun bleached. I would not want to live with the worries that I would come back and my seats are faded since that is not an issue here in the Seattle area. Also its a safety issues with the ozone layer gone and all. But thanks again for your kind offer...LOL. Thanks again to all the responded. Edward

-
Back