long term engine building

-

reddishdsb

Reaction score
What is best to use to keep the cylinders and rings lubed to keep the rust
out, engine may be sitting for 3 to 4 months?

3-4 monthes they shouldnt rust anyway. But in CT, when the car gets put "in the trailer/garage/tent/whatever" the guys use the motor fogger. You can get it at marine supply houses too. A friend also uses ATF occasionally when he runs out of fogger. I left my Swinger outside for all last year (in a "Cover It" style soft garage) and there was no trace of rust on the bores.

Thanks, the humidity here in Al. is rough. one more dumb question, What is the best way to clean old pistons to reuse?

bead blasting or dip type carb cleaner works pretty well to clean up the old pistons. Just need to rinse them very well after either.

I use either laquer thinner if they are oily, or a soft wire wheel on a bench grinder if they arent. You dont want to bead or sand blast any part of a piston. The media embeds in the Aluminum so it doesnt wash out, and you will destroy things pretty quick with media between the cyl wall and the piston skirts.

Good point moper, my bad. Used to bead blast them all the time and never noticed any problems, but the potential is there.

reddishdsb said:
What is best to use to keep the cylinders and rings lubed to keep the rust
out, engine may be sitting for 3 to 4 months?

I've used Lubriplate before to keep everything protected. It won't run down the cylinders like oil or other liquid based preservatives. However, I wiped it all off prior to firing the motor. I don't think it would hurt anything to fire up a motor without removing, but it would probably create quite a bit of smoke.

Soak the pistons in water, it will make the carbon wipe right off. If you've ever seen the piston in a cylinder with a blown head gasket you know how clean they get with water.
Don't media blast or wire wheel the ring lands it will make the pistons unusable.

-
Back