Long term storage.

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
So my old bullet with about 3700 miles is out and on the engine cradle. Complete minus carb and distrib.
Was going to sell it but decided to keep it as a back up, in case of some mid-summer catastrophic failure.

Spring pressure is somewhere around 600ish at .600 lift, so I think I will unbolt the rocker shafts.

Other than that, what is a good way to store it so everything stays safe and ready to go if needed.

HOPEFULLY it will be stored for a long time.

Go to your local mercury outboard dealer and get a can of storage oil. Its in a spray can.
Fogging the cylinders is about all you need to do.
I was contemplating motor honey in fresh oil and roll engine(entire engine on stand) from time to time. As well as cranking it over.

Well you have to fog it when running. Used to run my boat at 2500, spray the fog in until it dies and that's it.
Actually planned that but you know how plans sometimes turn out.

You can fog it after as well, just not as easy. pull the plugs and fog each cylinder, might be worth pulling the carb and fogging the intake to coat the intake valves and a squirt in each exhaust port. maybe turn it over once a year and re spritz the cylinders from time to time. I would hope that would do it. will find out eventually myself, have one that's been in storage that way for a good 6+ years. going to pull the heads on mine for a valve spring replacement. hoping the cylinders will look as good as when it was put up.

i would buy a junker ramcharger and bolt it in...then use it as a winterbeater

Funny you should say that, I saw a pretty clean 92 shortbed 2wd Dakota for $3995.
Could you imagine a 540 horse shortbed Dakota?

Just daydreaming...

Thats about what a guy that worked at a dealersip had.
Bought it new and built it out of the mopar performance catalogue.

-
Back