Long Time Lurker Finally Saying Hello

-

d4rt

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm getting ready to start up a build thread for my Dart that is in the process of getting a Gen 3 Hemi, so I figured it was time to finally post something and start participating in the forums. I've been lurking around here for years soaking up information. I used to post pretty regularly on Moparts way back in like 2001 - 2003.

A little about myself. Born in Minnesota, raised in North Dakota, spent nearly 6 years (2002 - 2008) in North Carolina at Ft Bragg as active duty Air Force. I of course had the privilege of vacationing in the middle east a few times during my time in the military. That was fun. A couple of years after getting out of the military, I moved to Arizona to go to college. I guess I didn't get enough of the heat during my time in Iraq. :realcrazy: Anyways....it ended up working out great! I met my lovely wife down here and we're now happily married with 2 daughters.

I've had my 1970 Dart for nearly 26 years. When I got it it was a super clean, all original 318/904/7-1/4" old lady car. I am its second owner. It was my first car. I learned to drive in this car when I was 14 years old. Here she is the first day I had her (along with a 14 year old version of myself):

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 8.02.19 PM.png

I grew up loving Mopars primarily because of a hemi orange 1971 340 Demon that my uncle owned in the late 70s. I grew up hearing stories about that car. Well, that and Leo Burkhardsmeier had a big block Mopar in his WISSOTA mod that kicked the crap out of everyone at the local dirt track in the early 90s when I first started going to races with my father.

My senior year of high school I took an auto body class and (much to my parents' horror) decided that I needed to have my own hemi orange Mopar, so I painted my Dart as my class project:

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 8.15.19 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 8.15.34 PM.png

Here is the "finished" product at Interstate Raceway (Glyndon, MN) in the spring of 2004:
Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 8.16.13 PM.png

Here she is today. Basically nothing has changed since 2003 haha. Still wearing the high school auto body paint job.

350293183_535438558611331_7595357040235193834_n.jpg

I was out of the hobby for several years while other parts of my life intervened. A couple years ago I picked it back up and now I'm in the middle of doing some much needed updates to the Dart. She's all shiny on the outside and overall still a really clean car, however a lot of the key parts of the car (suspension, brakes, wiring, short block, fuel system, steering) are all ~54 years old at this point. Back in the day right after it was painted I had planned on doing a 408/416 stroker build. That didn't end up happening, so now I have a 54 year old ~8.5:1 compression stock 318 short block with a small solid flat tappet cam (Comp Magnum 224/224) and the top end I bought to use for the 408/416" stroker I mentioned. :wtf: It's been 13.90 @ 99 on street tires despite the poorly balanced combo, so it does okay for what it is I guess.

I recently signed up for Sick 66 however, so I have my work cut out for me to get everything done by October. The rest of my life takes a lot of my attention, so I am insanely slow at getting anything done. But I'm going to do my best. I do as much of the work on the car as I feasibly can in my little 22' x 20' garage:

signal-2024-03-06-204341_002.jpeg

My father and my father-in-law are going to be my co-pilots on Sick 66. I've wanted to do a drag and drive event for a long time and I've also always wanted to drive my Dart down Route 66, so I'm really stoked for this. If we have to we'll do it with the 318 still in the car. If that happens, I guess that'll have to be its final voyage lol. I can't believe that thing has survived as long as it has. :eek:

Anyways, I'm happy to be here and excited to learn from all of the knowledgable members around this place. Hopefully I can contribute a bit too.

Last edited:
:welcome: from :canada:

My favorite year of Dart is a 1970, but I am a little biased as I have had more than a few of them.
Great story and plans for the project. Lots of good people here, looking forward to seeing you make progress with your car.
I would love to do a drag and drive event one day myself, and I know that another member here is planning to go with his 1970 Dart. @abodyjoe
Good luck!

I did my first 70 Dart restoration in a 14x22 garage.

:welcome: from :canada:

My favorite year of Dart is a 1970, but I am a little biased as I have had more than a few of them.
Great story and plans for the project. Lots of good people here, looking forward to seeing you make progress with your car.
I would love to do a drag and drive event one day myself, and I know that another member here is planning to go with his 1970 Dart. @abodyjoe
Good luck!

I did my first 70 Dart restoration in a 14x22 garage.
Thank you! I was just reviewing Joe's thread. Already getting lots of good ideas from some of the posts!

I'd like this garage a lot more if I didn't have to share it with my wife's giant SUV! :D Oh well, "happy wife, happy life" is how the saying goes, I think. I'm slowly trying to sell her on the idea of letting me add another project under the premise that the second one is her car. She likes convertibles, so I've been looking at '67 - '69 Barracudas and '63 - '66 Darts.

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I'm getting ready to start up a build thread for my Dart that is in the process of getting a Gen 3 Hemi, so I figured it was time to finally post something and start participating in the forums. I've been lurking around here for years soaking up information. I used to post pretty regularly on Moparts way back in like 2001 - 2003.

A little about myself. Born in Minnesota, raised in North Dakota, spent nearly 6 years (2002 - 2008) in North Carolina at Ft Bragg as active duty Air Force. I of course had the privilege of vacationing in the middle east a few times during my time in the military. That was fun. A couple of years after getting out of the military, I moved to Arizona to go to college. I guess I didn't get enough of the heat during my time in Iraq. :realcrazy: Anyways....it ended up working out great! I met my lovely wife down here and we're now happily married with 2 daughters.

I've had my 1970 Dart for nearly 26 years. When I got it it was a super clean, all original 318/904/7-1/4" old lady car. I am its second owner. It was my first car. I learned to drive in this car when I was 14 years old. Here she is the first day I had her (along with a 14 year old version of myself):

View attachment 1716217706

I grew up loving Mopars primarily because of a hemi orange 1971 340 Demon that my uncle owned in the late 70s. Well, that and Leo Burkhardsmeier had a big block Mopar in his Wissota mod that kicked the crap out of everyone at the local dirt track in the early 90s when I first started going to races with my father.

My senior year of high school I took an auto body class and (much to my parent's horror) decided that I needed to have my own a hemi orange Mopar, so I painted my Dart as my class project:

View attachment 1716217707

View attachment 1716217708

Here is the "finished" product at Interstate Raceway (Glyndon, MN) in the spring of 2004:
View attachment 1716217710

Here she is today. Basically nothing has changed since 2003 haha. Still wearing the high school auto body paint job.

View attachment 1716217711

I was out of the hobby for several years while other parts of my life intervened. A couple years ago I picked it back up and now I'm in the middle of doing some much needed updates to the Dart. She's all shiny on the outside and overall still a really clean car, however a lot of the key parts of the car (suspension, brakes, wiring, short block, fuel system, steering) are all ~54 years old at this point. Back in the day right after it was painted I had planned on doing a 408/416 stroker build. That didn't end up happening, so now I have a 54 year old ~8.5:1 compression stock 318 short block with a small solid flat tappet cam (Comp Magnum 224/224) and the top end I bought to use for the 408/416" stroker I mentioned. :wtf: It's been 13.90 @ 99 on street tires despite the poorly balanced combo, so it does okay for what it is I guess.

I recently signed up for Sick 66 however, so I have my work cut out for me to get everything done by October. The rest of my life takes a lot of my attention, so I am insanely slow at getting anything done. But I'm going to do my best. I do as much of the work on the car as I feasibly can in my little 22' x 20' garage:

View attachment 1716217713

My father and my father-in-law are going to be my co-pilots on Sick 66. I've wanted to do a drag and drive event for a long time and I've also always wanted to drive my Dart down Route 66, so I'm really stoked for this. If we have to we'll do it with the 318 still in the car. If that happens, I guess that'll have to be its final voyage lol. I can't believe that thing has survived as long as it has. :eek:

Anyways, I'm happy to be here and excited to learn from all of the knowledgable members around this place. Hopefully I can contribute a bit too.

very cool story.. thanks for your service...

i too am signed up for sick 66. i'm only doing sick ward though.. hope to be bringing our 70 dart. hope to have the new motor ready. if not i'll have to bring my 08 mustang.. time will tell.. really hope to have the dart though..

A kid in high school had a '70... we were bullshitting one day and i sat on the trunk opening and put my foot on the taillight CRACK.... i still feel bad and it's been like 35 years.. .

Welcome sweet dart, thanks for your service. I served nearly the same time as you 02-07. But was in the army jealous of the air force short deployments lol. Spent some 2.5 years in Iraq.

this is part of sick 66 so we will be a bit restricted on the route. gotta follow their route and stop for pictures at specific places.

hope to take the dart if i can get the motor done and some mileage on it. if that falls through I'll just take the mustang. really want to take the dart though.

very cool story.. thanks for your service...

i too am signed up for sick 66. i'm only doing sick ward though.. hope to be bringing our 70 dart. hope to have the new motor ready. if not i'll have to bring my 08 mustang.. time will tell.. really hope to have the dart though..

I just saw and commented in your thread. Thanks for posting that up btw. Already lots of good suggestions in there. Beautiful car too! We'll have to meet up for sure.

I have a 70 too. We could start a club. :thumbsup: There are quite a few around.

View attachment 1716217826

I'm definitely down for that! Beautiful car!

A kid in high school had a '70... we were bullshitting one day and i sat on the trunk opening and put my foot on the taillight CRACK.... i still feel bad and it's been like 35 years.. .

Lol, **** happens. Easy fix!

Welcome sweet dart, thanks for your service. I served nearly the same time as you 02-07. But was in the army jealous of the air force short deployments lol. Spent some 2.5 years in Iraq.

I hear you there man and thank you for your service as well. The length of deployments for the Army and Marines was nuts back then. I went three times (Iraq x 2, Afghanistan x 1) and spent a total of about 1.5 years in country. One of my closest friends was Army and he did 15 months in a single tour.

I just saw and commented in your thread. Thanks for posting that up btw. Already lots of good suggestions in there. Beautiful car too! We'll have to meet up for sure.

I'm definitely down for that! Beautiful car!

Lol, **** happens. Easy fix!

I hear you there man and thank you for your service as well. The length of deployments for the Army and Marines was nuts back then. I went three times (Iraq x 2, Afghanistan x 1) and spent a total of about 1.5 years in country. One of my closest friends was Army and he did 15 months in a single tour.
Yep that’s how I did it 2 tours 15 months each. One of them stoplossed entire time. Wouldn’t change it for nothing.

Yep that’s how I did it 2 tours 15 months each. One of them stoplossed entire time. Wouldn’t change it for nothing.
Oof, being stop-lossed is rough. Sounds like you made it out of there alright though and you're right, the difficult experiences can be the most valuable.
Welcome, I still have my first car but not a nice Dart
Thank you!

Welcome from metro-Detroit! Great story!

Ask me about PSC Liver Disease
Thanks Dan! Another one of my car-related bucket list tasks is making it up there for the Woodward Dream Cruise. Also my Dart rolled off the assembly line at the Windsor plant on November 22, 1969. I always thought it would be cool to visit the plant with my Dart and snap a picture.

Love your car, and especially how much you have done yourself. It's so great that you are driving the car - Sick66 should be a blast

1970s are the best Darts, but then I'm a little biased... :thumbsup:

DSC04823.JPG

Thank you!

Love your car, and especially how much you have done yourself. It's so great that you are driving the car - Sick66 should be a blast

1970s are the best Darts, but then I'm a little biased... :thumbsup:

View attachment 1716218120

Ha! I tend to agree for the same reasons. :D

Also, thanks a ton for the recommendations in @abodyjoe's Route 66 thread. I booked 6 KOAs for Sick 66, all camping cabins! I scoped out the surroundings for each one on Google Maps and feel pretty good about the overall security compared to a traditional hotel. The entire trip will take 14 days, so we might do more. The rest of the reservations I made were reserve now, pay later, fully refundable motels with parking directly in front of our room's door. I requested ground level for any that multiple stories. I may or may not cancel those depending on the details of the actual route we're required to drive for Sick 66. My father in law started planning places to stop and see too. Definitely open to recommendations there if you have any. We're traveling east from Topock, AZ to Springfield, MO to get to Sick 66 and then west back to Albuquerque, NM during the actual event. Sick 66 starts in the Ozarks and ends Albuquerque. There is one detour off of Route 66 to Roswell, NM towards the end of the journey.

Welcome from West Virginia............................great looking Dart:thumbsup:

Thanks Scott! Same to you. Your Dart is one of my favorites on this entire forum.

What a great story, and a great introduction of you and your car. I hope the new drivetrain gets done in time for the 66, for you and abodyjoe, it would make the trip much more enjoyable. Welcome to the site, glad to have you among us.

I will stay tuned. I do like the Orange

Please do! Just received a shipment of goodies from Dr Diff so I'm working on getting the 8-3/4" center section, new wheel bearings and cleaning up the rear drums while painting/refurbishing basically everything under the car from the rear end back. Stripping all of that down to the metal followed by a layer of Eastwood Chassis Black. Going to do double adjustable shocks in the front and rear too, but still finalizing plans for the front suspension before pulling the trigger on that. Once I make a bit more progress I'll post up the build thread along with the rest of my plans.

What a great story, and a great introduction of you and your car. I hope the new drivetrain gets done in time for the 66, for you and abodyjoe, it would make the trip much more enjoyable. Welcome to the site, glad to have you among us.

Thank you! Me too. It'll be way better both with the 6.4 and OD. I'm going to be using a 42RH that I pulled out of a '91 Dakota during a Veterans Day 35% off sale at one of the local salvage yards. I'm prioritizing suspension, brakes, cooling system and wiring ahead of the hemi and OD, though. That stuff absolutely needs to be done before driving the car ~5000 miles in two weeks. Next up will be the transmission and then getting the remaining bits for the hemi sorted out will come last. I'll be honest, I'm not anticipating that I'll get the hemi swap done before October. I can potentially see getting the OD in the car by October. Still deliberating on the best path there. I'm going to have to pull the 904 regardless as basically every seal in that thing is shot and leaking fluid at this point and I'd like to go through it anyways if its going to be in the car for the trip. While major floor surgery shouldn't be required for the 42RH, it'll still take more work than doing seals and quickly looking over the 904. I haven't even cracked this 42RH open yet. Assuming it's in okay shape I could probably do a very basic rebuild and it'll be fine behind the 318. The hemi will be a different story, of course.

Time will tell. Ultimately I'm prioritizing making sure the car is safe (as it can be for a 1970 Dart) and mechanically sound.

Last edited:
-
Back