Look!!! Whatnot to give your child at 17

-
So...

I have an 11 second street Dart that I drive all the time. It had the 440 in it last year going low - mid 12s, and I was 17 driving it then. I'm 19 now.

Some people (mostly younger people ) don't understand the power a car has. It only takes one mess up and everything is done. BUT some younger guys know how to handle a powerful car (me as well as many others).

So just because one kid wrecked a demon 20+ years ago because HE didn't know what he was doing, doesn't mean the rest of us don't.

I started with a mild 440 in the mid 14s and worked my way up to where my car is at now. I understand the power and know how to handle it.

Like a guy at my last job said "95% of the people in this world are operators, the other 5% are drivers".

18 years old, I somehow survived this one --

72Chevelle1.jpg

72Chevelle2.jpg

My son has been driving this since he was 16 -- he's now nearly 20. Different times back when I almost killed myself....

DSCF2654.jpg

DSCF1765.jpg

I was driving my 340 4 speed Dart around at 18. Lucky for me I had a lot of respect for the car and what it could do, and could not do. I know what your saying though and would never let my kids drive a car like that at that age.

ive been driving since 16 with no problems. 383 roadrunner, 6 pack cuda, 340 4 speed formula s on nitros, vega with 500 give or take on 150 shot of nitrous with 5 speed, 2 amxs, and everything else ive gotten my hands on to

procharged stang
grand national
viper
ford gt (new mid engine car)
prowler
import turbo cars

never had a problem, i love cars with power and the pull of them... just have to know how to drive them. im also in the country with not alot of traffic.

my dad and all my friends call me a driver. my first car was the vega with a v8 and still to this day is a fast car and is known in the area as being nasty. for x mas when i was 16 my mom bought me a cage for my vega cause everyone thought it was gonna get smashed/rolled.. its been close calls to many times and i slowed down with it.

i think if its gonna happen its gonna happen.... my gfs dad was backing in off the road in his truck and got hit on the side by another driver and killed him. u watch cops and guy in vette can wreck over a 100 and walk away. when your number is up its up.....

also one more thing.... i think when your build own car u respect it alot more... 2 years to paint and build engine and get it all working... u know.... how it all works and respect it...

people that just get stuff handed to them don't care what went into it... busted knuckles fighting, thinking, late nights, tracking parts down....

For my kids, its four cylinders, front wheel drive, airbags and anti lock brakes. Yeah, if they get plowed into by an excursion or a semi its going to be bad. But they'll still have a much better chance than they would in an A-body
Careful now I have exactly what you said and my son knows how fast this thing is,it will smoke most V8s and have the ac on.
The true problem in my opinion is the fact that we need to teach our children what can happen.I did a lot of police calls down in Florida 20 years ago and have seen some really gruesome things.Thats why we shouldn't cover there eyes when there is a horrible crash,show it to them and maybe just maybe they will think before jumping.Of course this is just my opinion.
Doug

Attachments

• 000_2147.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 129
For my kids, its four cylinders, front wheel drive, airbags and anti lock brakes. Yeah, if they get plowed into by an excursion or a semi its going to be bad. But they'll still have a much better chance than they would in an A-body
Careful now I have exactly what you said and my son knows how fast this thing is,it will smoke most V8s and have the ac on.
The true problem in my opinion is the fact that we need to teach our children what can happen.I did a lot of police calls down in Florida 20 years ago and have seen some really gruesome things.Thats why we shouldn't cover there eyes when there is a horrible crash,show it to them and maybe just maybe they will think before jumping.Of course this is just my opinion.
Doug

Those things are fun as heck to drive!!! :-D

I know that different kids mature at different ages. Some are smarter drivers than others. To lable saying ALL 17 YEAR OLDS is not right. I have been driving mopars since before I had my DL. I am not saying everything I have ever done was smart. But I feel that I am a good driver. I never once had an accident in one of my cars.

-
Back